PDA

View Full Version : trouble fitting quickshift

djinuk
11-10-2010, 21:31
Currently fitting my quickshift gear lever.

problem im having is it tells me to remove the circlip under the car to drop the gearstike.. i tried for hours but had no joy.. im thinking can i just unbolt the full linkage from inside and if so how do i go about doing this.. any help much appreciated thanks

SCHWARTZ
11-10-2010, 21:32
do you have proper circlip pliers? should come out easily.

raider_gtt
11-10-2010, 21:40
i had this problem with fitting mine i done it after 1/2 an hour with two flat screw drivers

raider_gtt
11-10-2010, 21:42
Currently fitting my quickshift gear lever.

problem im having is it tells me to remove the circlip under the car to drop the gearstike.. i tried for hours but had no joy.. im thinking can i just unbolt the full linkage from inside and if so how do i go about doing this.. any help much appreciated thanks

its a matter of time if i was liveing near you i would do it for ya mate :cry:

SCHWARTZ
11-10-2010, 21:55
a decent pair if needle nose pliers will also do the job.

Tony Walker
11-10-2010, 22:01
4 13mm bolts and it all comes off. easy enough. pair of long nose pliers should be able to get the clip out if you dont have circlip ones. or two seperate screwdrivers, lift one side out then up and work it round till its all out.

car.crash
11-10-2010, 22:11
Remove the linkage from the gearbox first. It's a 13mm nut and bolt. Then from inside the car undo the 4 bolts and lift the whole gearlinkage inside the car. Remove he circlip and refit the new gearstick into the surround and refit the circlip. If the circlip won't seat correctly then you need to get the grinder out and carefully take some off the base of the new gearstick, then try to refit untill the circlip is seated properly. Don't just bodge it in and hope for the best as eventually the circlip will fall out and so will your gearstick.
Then slide on the gear linkage and bolt it all back on and refit the linkage to the gearbox and reset it so you can get all gears and reverse. It's a pain to do and it's easyer to have a friend check the gears whilst you play with the linkage to save you keep getting up and down every 5 seconds. I personally wouldn't bother fitting the shorter pin into the gearbox but if you choose to fit it then be prepared to destroy the plastic bush when removing it and fit it before aligning the gears because it will need resetting again if the smaller pin is used.

dangerous dave
11-10-2010, 22:36
did you go for the shorter throw young marc or have you kept it oe? having just got mine in the post today i think im all about the bling, the shorter throw doesn't really worry me..

is it better?

car.crash
12-10-2010, 06:51
The stick reduces the throw nicely and the pin makes it very short. I couldnt get on with the pin.

djinuk
12-10-2010, 07:36
thanks for the advice folks, yea i have circlip pliers but still didnt have joy.. i didnt have much light which didnt help, think ill just remove the lot, sounds easier, especially if it can need a little angle grinder action to fit correctly..

really appreciate tha advice thanks

djinuk
12-10-2010, 15:54
just an additional note, its bloody hard to slide the bar off that connects to te linkage, even once the clamps removed it seems pretty god damn tight.

Tony Walker
12-10-2010, 19:40
wait till you have to get it back on and ligned up lol. :D id clean it up a little and grease it but if your not fitting the shorter pin then try not to take the marks off that will help you align it back up.