PDA

View Full Version : Anyone local to Portsmouth/Fareham HELP NEEDED £

doggydowg22
11-10-2010, 17:56
Hello all

I realy need some help,turned my car off the other day and the starter motor kept running till smoke appeared then I disconected the earth to battery.

Car wont prime,or turn over,have the car jacked up and can't find any wires touching on the starter.

If you can help I will gladly pay for your time im in Fareham doing this :scratch: and have been for past two days lol.

phase i 16 v turbo
11-10-2010, 18:01
Hi get hold of Tony he will be able to help you.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=252

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 18:07
The cars fuel pump doesn't prime like a fuel injected car when the ignition is turned on

Did you check for 12v's at the starter solenoid? Sounds like the wires burnt out or taken the starter motor with it.

doggydowg22
11-10-2010, 18:10
I will try Tony many thanks.

I swear on all of my r5s including this one if you turn the key 2 clicks you can hear the fuel pump go buzz for a second.

It was before and isn't now either that or I am going insane and I hear the buzz in my head :)

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 18:12
I swear on all of my r5s including this one if you turn the key 2 clicks you can hear the fuel pump go buzz for a second.

It was before and isn't now either that or I am going insane and I hear the buzz in my head :)

No 5 from factory done that, the fuel pump will only operate when the AEI unit sense's engine rotating through the TDC sensor, this will then turn the fuel pump relay on which turns the pump on.

If yours does then someone has played with the wiring and it shouldn't be doing this.

doggydowg22
11-10-2010, 18:21
No 5 from factory done that, the fuel pump will only operate when the AEI unit sense's engine rotating through the TDC sensor, this will then turn the fuel pump relay on which turns the pump on.

If yours does then someone has played with the wiring and it shouldn't be doing this.

It could be part of an alarm system I guess,rest assure it doesn't do it anymore :cry:

I have a bad fealing the white small wire that goes to to starter and then through the bulk head maybe the cause,is this the low voltage wire that goes to ignition?

Should I follow this to the ignition and rip the clocks out to see if that wire is maybe fused togther with a perm live?

Thanks for all your replys Mark if my car ever makes it to an r5 meet Il get you a drink:beer:

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 18:47
I wouldn't worry that it don't prime, its not meant to.

The solenoid wire runs into the engine loom which then goes through the chassis leg on passenger side, the wire that goes through the bulkhead is the speedo sendor wire.
The solenoid wire will come from the ignition, if you have 12v coming from it then all is good if not the you have a conncetion problem somewhere.
As i say before i think the main battery cable is touching this wire or the terminal itself if starter is running all the time or the starter has siezed in the on position.

Junglist
11-10-2010, 19:52

:agree: when you turn on the ign you WILL hear the pump kick in for a few secs , i guess this primes it, it then stops untill you start the engine , it does on mine.

i had this problem where the noise of the pump wasnt heard when i turned the ign on,
i put a battery on the fuel pump to test it that worked fine
i changed the pump relay (not that either) ,
i then checked for spark and nothing
so played with the tdc wire at aei end and all other wires at the aei made sure they were all in properly inc the king lead then it worked ,
turns out if the aei doesnt receive a signal from something else then it wont send power to the fuel pump relay which turns on the fuel pump .

there is a thread on this somewhere i will have a search ,, good luck

Junglist
11-10-2010, 19:59
:agree: when you turn on the ign you WILL hear the pump kick in for a few secs , i guess this primes it, it then stops untill you start the engine , it does on mine.

i had this problem where the noise of the pump wasnt heard when i turned the ign on,
i put a battery on the fuel pump to test it that worked fine
i changed the pump relay (not that either) ,
i then checked for spark and nothing
so played with the tdc wire at aei end and all other wires at the aei made sure they were all in properly inc the king lead then it worked ,
turns out if the aei doesnt receive a signal from something else then it wont send power to the fuel pump relay which turns on the fuel pump .

there is a thread on this somewhere i will have a search ,, good luck

actually i think i mean when you try start the car then turn the key back befor the engine starts the pump will continue running for a sec or 2 ,

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 20:03

Why would it need to prime the fuel system when the carb bowl will be full of fuel?

I got to say this is the first i've heard of this, never heard a fuel pump run for few second when the ignition is switched on.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 20:05
actually i think i mean when you try start the car then turn the key back befor the engine starts the pump will continue running for a sec or 2 ,

Thats correct, when you switch car off the pumps runs for few seconds. :agree: It takes few sec's for Aei unit to turn fuel pump on, once its on when cranking yes it will run on even when engine has run and you turn it off it will run on for few seconds.

Its doesn't prime the system though when ignition is on though.

djinuk
11-10-2010, 20:06
Why would it need to prime the fuel system when the carb bowl will be full of fuel?

I got to say this is the first i've heard of this, never heard a fuel pump run for few second when the ignition is switched on.

Id give up mark..

just to confirm , 90% of cars i have prime when the ign is turned, however.. R5s dont, the fuel pump goes when the tdc picks up the flywheel spinning.. there for you will never hear the fuel pump prime on an r5!!!

Junglist
11-10-2010, 20:08

Mark please read post #9 :ashamed:

oh and that thread http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=8478

after post #25 in the thread by james it started to come together but you need to rule everthing out , again good luck :)

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 20:09
Id give up mark..

just to confirm , 90% of cars i have prime when the ign is turned, however.. R5s dont, the fuel pump goes when the tdc picks up the flywheel spinning.. there for you will never hear the fuel pump prime on an r5!!!

I thought i was going mad for a minute:laugh:

doggydowg22
11-10-2010, 20:13
Wish id never wrote about bloody pump now,It must all be in my head please ignore the fuel pump comments Mark is correct.

I will update tomorow when I have run the multi meter across the terminals on the starter when igntion is being turned not sure which of the terminals to test at thoe.

Thanks for imput guys.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 20:15
Mark please read post #9 :ashamed:

oh and that thread http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=8478

after post #25 in the thread by james it started to come together but you need to rule everthing out , again good luck :)

Sorry i'm lost at to what i'm meant to be looking at.

Sorry for the thread high jack though, getting abit off topic

Junglist
11-10-2010, 20:22
Sorry i'm lost at to what i'm meant to be looking at.

Sorry for the thread high jack though, getting abit off topic

in post #9 (the posts have a number in the corner) i say your right the pump runs when you turn the key back for a sec or 2 and not befor. but you allready replied as your super fast typer.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-10-2010, 20:27
in post #9 (the posts have a number in the corner) i say your right the pump runs when you turn the key back for a sec or 2 and not befor. but you allready replied as your super fast typer.

Ah i see thats cool mate, just i read post 9 and wasn't too sure why! :laugh:;)