PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild a long thread

mk5gtt
10-10-2010, 17:35
hi im going to be rebuilding a c1j engine this winter its my first rebuild i have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge im just wanting some info on what parts to use and wot to uprate im looking fo 200-240 bhp it not a daily drive just want a gud fast road/track engine. is it worth having the crank knifeedged wot cam piper 285 or 300 going to be putting new pistons and linners in and all gaskets ,bearings ,shells will be replaced for new.will be getting the head ported and polished. is there anything else that can be done to the engine to get more power? i already have a tubular manifold a hybrid t25 2 1/2 exhaust from turbo back. also is it worth replacing valves rockers as i dont know the condition as the engine is in bits already? and what is the best way to go about rebuilding is there abnything to watch out for? sorry bout the long thread just want to know what to do before i start thanks for any help

tiff_lee
10-10-2010, 18:17
Hey I have a thread running in the technical section which is pretty much identical to yours

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=18449

i'm looking to build an engine for a trackcar which will be road legal but not a daily driver. Personally though I'm not fussed about mega power rather just get the maximum I can from the standard internals without compromising reliability.

SCHWARTZ
10-10-2010, 18:37
uprated gasket 1.9mm and 12.9 high tensile head bolts are a must!

Markey Mark (BD)
10-10-2010, 18:47
No need for half the stuff mentioned here, a good cam timed correctly, good spec'd turbo, good intercooler, light flywheel and sorted carb and you'll see over 200bhp. Make sure the fuel system is in good condition too.

You can use standard headgasket too if your sticking to standard comp too and the head i full thickness, i use the stronger bolts though.

I wouldn't bother with ported head or tubular manifold though.

When rebuilding the engine one thing to make sure you do is check everything correctly, if something looks suspect replace it, if it looks in good condition then its fine to re-use if within tolerance.

Alex
11-10-2010, 08:00
I's like to say - good luck with building a track car with up to 240 BHP :eek:

I agree with what Mark said (although I do have some of those mods which I'm happy with ;)) It depends how far you want to go like with anything. I'd say reburbish/renew everything suspect, new bearings/pistons/liners ets and a decent cam with a well fuelled carb.

If you're using it on track then get some decent suspension (Koni :agree:) check the whole braking system, and use some Ferodo DFS2500 pads.....

mk5gtt
11-10-2010, 11:07
Ye I've sorted the suspention gaz coilovers all the brakes are brand new calipers and brake lines arenew aswell most of the car is new or uprated to start with