PDA

View Full Version : engine stood, what to do

djinuk
08-10-2010, 14:55
With my J plate r5 i recieved a spare engine.. the engine dosent look anything special and is missing a timing cover but other than that looks ok..

Its been sat for at least 3 years, but came with a £600 receipt from a r5 breaker (i forgot the name) and the guy said it was a fresh rebuild with less than 4k miles on it before the car crashed.. whether this is true i dont know but everything else he said has been.

I was going to give the block a clean up and lick of paint to freshen it , and whip the head off. What should i be looking for to check ..

Ill also whip the sump off and remove the oil pump to check for wear and tear there.

Generally i just want to give the engine a good check over, see how genuine the thing is and if all is good drop it in my car.

Just wondering what to check/change etc

djinuk
05-11-2010, 22:32
bump, plan to have a look at this over winter so cumon just give me pointers

Adey aka Ewok
05-11-2010, 22:58
if it turns by hand check comp, fill it up with fluids and give it a go?

jimmy_b
05-11-2010, 23:48
drain it all, turn it over by hand to check its not seized, but if ur going to take the head off then might aswell whip sump off and take off the bearing caps off the crank and conrods also just to check the bearing shells for scoring. if there ok then just refit them and torque them up. just make sure the caps are fitted the same way they came off, other than that i would just advise the normal replacement of plugs, fluids, filters etc etc and adjust the tappets

SCHWARTZ
06-11-2010, 00:19
clear oil and water ways also as might have gotten blocked