PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Broke

raj
24-10-2008, 22:08
earlier today i trial fitted the bonnet,

while tightening the 4 nuts up that secures the bonnet to the hinges one of the threaded bits on the bonnet snapped:( so i now have 2 on one side and 1 on the other!! this doesnt seem safe to me to fit it like this.

is there anyway this can be repaired or is it another bonnet time.?

OUTLAW
24-10-2008, 22:12
:Dtheres always a way mate, send some pics:agree:

raj
24-10-2008, 22:16
no pics mate, but if you can imagine... the threaded bit has simply snapped off.

from the look of it, it looks like the threaded bit is actually welded onto the bonnet.

shame i cant find the bit i snapped off as it shot off somewhere :rolleyes:

stuTHC
24-10-2008, 22:51
wouldn't worry about it too much raj, mines only had 3 for years.
You could get it weld repaired, but the heat will probably effect the paint on the outside of the bonnet

raj
24-10-2008, 23:10
wouldn't worry about it too much raj, mines only had 3 for years.
You could get it weld repaired, but the heat will probably effect the paint on the outside of the bonnet

hmm, i dont know mate, thing is im not comfortable with 1 nut holding one side of the bonnet down :scared: its just asking for trouble.

suppose i could have it on as a temporary thing.

stuTHC
24-10-2008, 23:15
4 trackdays, 20+ 1/4 miles runs and approx 25,000 road miles and nothing has moved. It'll be getting sorted soon thou as ive got some rust coming through on the bonnet :cry: time for a new one

Purple_rob
24-10-2008, 23:15
I found this on my previous 5. Someone had dropped a weld in there.

Its an option for safety :) ! but I replaced the bonnet :)

jantheeven
24-10-2008, 23:49
With my previous engine & turbo... I drove around for nearly one year with only 3 studs for the turbo to manifold connection... and even that wasn't a problem :rolleyes:
So I'm guessing 3 bolts for a "mere" bonnet won't be a problem either ;)

bye_all_c_ya
25-10-2008, 09:28
take bonnet off drill small hole in origonal bit off bolt left in thread then use a stud extractor to remove it out of the thread

thats what i did