PDA

View Full Version : no brakes!

SCHWARTZ
29-09-2010, 20:09
took the car out for a little drive (25mins) but had no brakes. I have changed the fluid and hoses have a stiff pedal but it wont slow the car down. the pads and discs are old but not worn out and have sat for a while could this cause this or dose it sound servo related. I have a fitted a 1 way valve that james5 sent me as i thought that could be the prob but still no joy:sad2:

5teve L
29-09-2010, 20:14
So is the pedal really stiff, as in hardly moves at all ?

SCHWARTZ
29-09-2010, 22:19
no the pedal will move and gradually get harder until it cant be pressed any more but the brakes dont slow you dout any quicker.:crap:

J$£5GTT
29-09-2010, 22:21
air in the system?...maybe try using an ezzibleed kit they work great in my experience.

SCHWARTZ
29-09-2010, 22:24
used an easy bleed and made sure the reservoir never went dry.

J$£5GTT
29-09-2010, 22:39
calipers are not sticking?..its always worth re-greasing up the pins when doin a service,maybe check the vac hose to the inlet is not split,take it of an check it over,
i know inside the servo there is a tiny felt filter that can get dirty/split to...
:)

devilish dave
29-09-2010, 23:07
had this problem before. sounds like crap pads. we had an 07 plate merc sprinter in wiyth the same issue at work yesterday. been left to stand for a year and the pads harden and don't bite on the disk over 20 mph

TNT ANDY
30-09-2010, 06:23
I had this - 1 way valve off the carb base was stuck closed. Take it out and suck through it to see if it's working. I put a fair amount of wd through it, sucky sucky and hey presto had no problem after that.:cool:

SCHWARTZ
30-09-2010, 15:34
one way valve has been checked and works fine. the sliders on the calliper were also copper slipped up when i changed the hoses and slide nicely.

SCHWARTZ
30-09-2010, 15:37
had this problem before. sounds like crap pads. we had an 07 plate merc sprinter in wiyth the same issue at work yesterday. been left to stand for a year and the pads harden and don't bite on the disk over 20 mph

im hoping its either something really simple or this. pads are a good few years old and have sat for about 10 months so would expect them to have lost some stopping power.

clee
30-09-2010, 15:47
I've just recommissioned a GTA that had stood for ages ...old pads and discs ,they worked but failed MOT on brakes. All new , all round and it's passed today with excellent figures and the balance came back correctly as well .
All down to just old ****e :agree: