PDA

View Full Version : Driving Licence Renenal

Bigfoot
24-09-2010, 07:22
Oops, lost my form to renew my driving licence, totally forgot about it, and now it runs out in 2 days time :eek: found out it can be done at local post office, anyone know how long it takes to be done, can I drive without a copy of either part of my licence, they say it can be done there and then, does that mean they print a card off for me right there for the extra money. Hopefully they can else I might be stuck for transport for a while :cry:

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-09-2010, 07:36
Oops, lost my form to renew my driving licence, totally forgot about it, and now it runs out in 2 days time :eek: found out it can be done at local post office, anyone know how long it takes to be done, can I drive without a copy of either part of my licence, they say it can be done there and then, does that mean they print a card off for me right there for the extra money. Hopefully they can else I might be stuck for transport for a while :cry:

you can apply for it at the post office, they will update the computer, and u get a new licence sent out ( and its perfectly legal to drive whilst the DVLA have your licence to upgrade )

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-09-2010, 07:37
you can apply for it at the post office, they will update the computer, and u get a new licence sent out ( and its perfectly legal to drive whilst the DVLA have your licence to upgrade )

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

£24 for the pleasure.... once again another way of the goverment to take your hard earned money....

Trevhib
24-09-2010, 08:26
Is this one of those photo licences? Mine is still the old paper style and I don't think it runs out until I'm 74? Next year. ;)

Bigfoot
24-09-2010, 08:30
Yes its the card part, photo renewal crap, another way of getting money off it, paid enough for the licence in the first place, why do we have to pay that much just for another card

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-09-2010, 08:40
Is this one of those photo licences? Mine is still the old paper style and I don't think it runs out until I'm 74? Next year. ;)

Legally you should updated your driving licence to the new style...

5teve L
24-09-2010, 09:58
I did mine in the main post office, they take a picture there & then & send it all off for you. Doesn't take long at all.

rat1
24-09-2010, 10:05
Legally you should updated your driving licence to the new style...

i've still got the old type paper one.is there any problems having one of these or do you have to change it to the photo card

5teve L
24-09-2010, 10:11
You are supposed to have both now... just so they can charge you some extra cash now & then :crap:

dave j gtt
24-09-2010, 20:29
am afraid trev you have to renew photocard every 10 years and there is a fee :cry:

you are aloud to drive while it out of date but if you need to produce your shafted as you wont get new licence in time. mine took near 4 weeks.

car.crash
24-09-2010, 20:34
that reminds me i must remember to have some lessons and pass my test.

Bigfoot
24-09-2010, 20:46
am afraid trev you have to renew photocard every 10 years and there is a fee :cry:

you are aloud to drive while it out of date but if you need to produce your shafted as you wont get new licence in time. mine took near 4 weeks.

How does that work out, 4 weeks without a driving licence, you have to stay off the road just incase :confused: that would be stupid, wouldn't put it past them though :laugh:

Trevhib
25-09-2010, 12:03
Guys, I didn't think they were legally allowed to force you to swap over to the new style/setup until there's a need/relevant opportunity? Or at least it's not illegal to hold the old style until such a time?

I haven't had to produce mine at the police station in many a year and I've not lost it or damaged it (because I'm particular about such things). In fact I've used the licence for identification when applying for stuff recently too.

Until I'm ordered to change it over I'm not paying a cent. :dearme:

:)

Trevhib
25-09-2010, 12:05

Yeah I remember there being a big thing about it in the news a couple of years back as the initial batch of photo licences became due for renewal for the first time. The renewal requirement/date wasn't made clear to holders and a lot of people were falling foul of it.

Another good reason to leave it as long as possible before changing over. :agree:

tiff_lee
25-09-2010, 12:32
Yeah I remember there being a big thing about it in the news a couple of years back as the initial batch of photo licences became due for renewal for the first time. The renewal requirement/date wasn't made clear to holders and a lot of people were falling foul of it.

Another good reason to leave it as long as possible before changing over. :agree:

Aye I remember that alot of people were driving around with expired licenses and yet they had no idea until they got a fine.

I just had a quick google regarding a paper license and all I could find is that providing you haven't changed address or been required to send it away for points then you don't have to upgrade (to downgrade) to the new one.

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-09-2010, 14:32
Atm your not legally required to update your old paper licence to the new card livence, but you will have to come 2012* this is only if the DSA get there way and the goverment enforce it...

raider_gtt
25-09-2010, 15:09
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

£24 for the pleasure.... once again another way of the goverment to take your hard earned money....

dont we no it!
just like fines