PDA

View Full Version : Three problems.... need your help

Tinka_Dill
21-09-2010, 01:19
Odd one this.... need your help!!

Just driven my car for 100 or so miles drives normal. Stop for gas two miles from home; after filling up turned the ignition on and the battery light on the instrument panel fails to go out (thought just a case of the battery undercharging or overcharging and simple belt adjustment).
Then got home five minutes later, parked outside my gaff with the engine running and the cooling fan fails to kick in resulting in car overheating. So turned engine off then noticed the anti-perc fan failed to start.

So since going to garage three problems: 1. battery light stays illuminated 2. cooling fan fails to kick in 3. ant-perc fan fails to kick in.

Bearing in mind I've been using the car all day without problem and with all fans working as normal.. I can't figure out how they're all related?

I've had the alternator disconnected very recently to get access to some of the hoses I needed to disconnect to flush the coolant system; but it has all been put back correctly (I think).

Cheers for your help guys!!

Craig

Junglist
21-09-2010, 07:04
check all your alternator wires are connected properly and have no breaks in them ,, maybe loose earth ?? im no macanic .
you can check your fan by running wire from battery to it to rule that out.

Slim
21-09-2010, 11:17
normally when if the battry light is on AND the fan doesnt kick in,, it points towards the belt isnt on or on properly

Ashy
21-09-2010, 12:33
Put a multimeter across the battery with the engine running to see if its charging. See what the voltage is with the lights and heater on etc...

michael tierney
21-09-2010, 20:57
ur anti-perc and rad-fan are fed by the same alternater positive output connector!!:)

Tinka_Dill
21-09-2010, 21:16
ur anti-perc and rad-fan are fed by the same alternater positive output connector!!:)

Cheers fellas'..

It's that exact lead mentioned above that was causing the aggro.. the pathetically weak 'O' ring connector had corroded and snapped off the red positive wire.. so no connection to the alternator. Bit of solder and problem solved.

:)