PDA

View Full Version : Fukcing alternators!

REGGY5GT
20-09-2010, 20:14
Since ive had my volvo engine in (3 months) its had 3 alternators,now i only have a small sub and dont put the alternator under much stress,i have noticed when i first start it in the mornin i have to rev the car slightly to get the light to go out,could someond please shed some light on the situation or even a post of which wires do what even a diagram,sick of having to get alternators now,i have tested with my alt tester and when dash light is on 13.- volts out of main live lead and 12 volts out of the little wire,anyone please?thanks tim

SCHWARTZ
20-09-2010, 20:16
have you used the r5 loom to the starter and alternator?

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 00:36
yeh i used the r5 loom (alt,starter ect)its baffled me as the alternator is fine for about a month then boom, nackered, the main + lead goes from alternator to starter to battery, which i think is right. then there is a other bolt terminal which is earth i think. the wires that i think are the problem is the connector on the top of the alternator. right on the volvo alternator there is 1 spade at the top and on the standard gt alternator there are 2 spades, so when iv plugged the gt plug into the volvo alternator there is one wire not going to a spade, hard to explain really,where do the two wires go on the gt loom?? thanks Tim

Slim
21-09-2010, 01:29
normally when if the battry light is on AND the fan doesnt kick in,, it points towards the belt isnt on or on properly.

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 03:31
belt is on fine mate, there is no problem with the fan as that is on a switch.

Slim
21-09-2010, 11:16
normally when if the battry light is on AND the fan doesnt kick in,, it points towards the belt isnt on or on properly.
oops wrong thread :ashamed: i really shouldnt post when its past my bedtime

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 12:17
its ok mate, going to get another alternator today, id like to say a big thanks to schwartz for sending me the wiring description and alterations to loom. ill let you know how it goes for future reference. thanks again ;)

SCHWARTZ
21-09-2010, 15:20
thank andy (trix n flix) helped me no end;)

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 16:54
now, i went and got an alternator today from the scrappy and it came off a rwd volvo, alternator is fine bolts up and belt runs fine only problem is where the old volvo alt had one spade connector at the top the new alt has two,now ive red the diagram you sent me schwartz and it says put the yellow of the gt alt connector to the single pin of the volvo alternator and leave the purple off, but ive tried this on the new alternator and no light is coming up on the dash when i turn ignition on,now if you look at the volvo alternator connections the one spade is bigger than the other and on the gt loom the yellow wire is bigger than the purple, could it be that instead of leaving the purple off connect it to the smallest spade as this brings the light on with ignition and off when started,the light has always worked (on,off, ect) with the old alternators but had to rev it slightly for the light to go out just want to get it right this time as it eats them after a month.is there any tests i can do on each wire with my multi tester to make sure current is going where its supposed to and not where its supposed to, thanks again Tim

SCHWARTZ
21-09-2010, 17:36
i have no idea matey if it seems to work fine i would try it and see. I would cut the big alt connector off the volvo loom and put a circle connector and take that to the +on the alt like normal then if it works with both gtt connectors being used do it. I havnt seen this alt before but maybe someone like andy or haz may know or have tried.

tiff_lee
21-09-2010, 18:21
With the 2 pins one should be a 12v supply and the other goes to your battery warning light.

TrixNFlix
21-09-2010, 18:29
With the 2 pins one should be a 12v supply and the other goes to your battery warning light.

:agree:

What actually happens to your alt so that it fails, because 13 volts at idle sounds great.?

TrixNFlix
21-09-2010, 18:33
thank andy (trix n flix) helped me no end;)

Just passing on the knowledge ive learnt from Haz, scoff and devilishDave. So big up to these guys too.:agree::D
Feel the rtoc love!:laugh:

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 19:26
right ive stripped the old alt down, the part that is fudged is the regulator on the back of the alt, in there there are two copper teeth on springs which look like they should always be in contact with the copper circles on the shaft if you know what i mean, so these teeth are what the problem is and why im going through so many alt'z, they keep getting worn down, what i could do with knowing is what the big yellow wire does on the gt alt loom and the little purple wire as it seems to me those wires are drawing too much current and wearing the copper brushes out, correct me if im wrong but doesnt that yellow wire power some parts of the dash and may i have tapped into it by mistake and overloaded the regulator?? thanks in advance, tim

SCHWARTZ
21-09-2010, 20:07
Just passing on the knowledge ive learnt from Haz, scoff and devilishDave. So big up to these guys too.:agree::D
Feel the rtoc love!:laugh:

big thanks to Haz, scoff and devilishDave then :agree::D

REGGY5GT
21-09-2010, 21:31
anyone??