PDA

View Full Version : Run flat tyres WORK

JRP
17-09-2010, 15:42
Well driving to a gig last night, i ran over glass/potthole and crap on a road... unable to swerve in time.. the on board comp alerted me to a prob ''as if i hadnt felt it''

Any way we made the gig, gigged up went to a petrol garage, tried to pop air in (not knowing the damage at that point) i hear air going in and comming out :laugh:

so i thought lets test run flats out, no spare wheel on new cars..

90 miles later we are home, this morning my tyre man popped up and removed it..

Well it the walls on these tyres are seriously hard core,

the tyre just looked a tad under inflated from out ward appearance, as gash was on inner!

LOOK OUT

id say they are worth the money, ohh checked the rim, no damage at all or cracks

JRP
17-09-2010, 15:44
By the way GIG was epic

robbie506
17-09-2010, 15:47
thats quality. tear and a half that!!!:eek: dont think my trusty tyre weld in the boot would of helped me with that :laugh:

JRP
17-09-2010, 15:50
thats quality. tear and a half that!!!:eek: dont think my trusty tyre weld in the boot would of helped me with that :laugh:

Well i went to a bp garage, but the guy (luckely) would not open the doors to the shop/or serve us the tyre weld for some reason..

the tyre chap that popped to mine earlier said it would have coated the arches lol we didnt know that it had tore it so bad! or at all

dangerous dave
17-09-2010, 16:03
we had a mini cooper come in, couldn't see anything wrong so removed the wheel and found a massive piece of slate stuck in the side.. fella said it was driving fine still, so they get a thumbs up from me..:agree:

some people were replacing runflats with normal tyres, totally messes with your ride and is a downgrade in safety..:crap:

scratcher
17-09-2010, 17:21
Run flats are great :agree: My ex had them on her Mini, got a flat in Milton keynes and got us home easily, and only a little bit of a rumble. She drove around on it for about a month :laugh:

What was the show you went to dude?

JRP
17-09-2010, 17:31
Run flats are great :agree: My ex had them on her Mini, got a flat in Milton keynes and got us home easily, and only a little bit of a rumble. She drove around on it for about a month :laugh:

Nothing big, low key event.. a friend of my mates band had his first solo gig the place was packed out for him :agree:

robbie506
17-09-2010, 17:43

how did the tyre handle all the roundabouts in milton keynes. :)

finsta
17-09-2010, 18:24
jrp, you should have replaced your run flats with a set of these.:laugh:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/airless_tires/111111.jpg&imgrefurl=http://quipster.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/new-michelin-airless-tires/&h=394&w=525&sz=35&tbnid=o7tODuAHmumWWM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairless%2Btyres&zoom=1&q=airless+tyres&usg=__-kE-GElahjxzMh3o1ufHcQ410KQ=&sa=X&ei=DaGTTILOI8K7jAe7j4yRBQ&ved=0CCEQ9QEwBw

scratcher
17-09-2010, 20:10
how did the tyre handle all the roundabouts in milton keynes. :)

Surprisingly well actually, I thought it'd be all over the shop but it was almost as good as when it was fully inflated.

JRP, thats cool :agree: I love going to give mates some support :)

robbie506
17-09-2010, 20:33
Surprisingly well actually, I thought it'd be all over the shop but it was almost as good as when it was fully inflated.

JRP, thats cool :agree: I love going to give mates some support :)

used to love abusing my 5 round the roundabouts in mk back in the day. miss them days :cry:

tiff_lee
17-09-2010, 20:34
some people were replacing runflats with normal tyres, totally messes with your ride and is a downgrade in safety..:crap:
Was this just to save some ££?

robbie506
17-09-2010, 20:48
Was this just to save some ££?

also how is it a downgrade in safety if your swapping a tyre to the same equalivant just not run flat if there like for like? dont mean this to sound like i dont belive you or anything like that just a genuine question. i know fook all about tyres. :)

Tony Walker
17-09-2010, 21:49
personally id say a run flats are a waste of money. you could buy 3 normal tyres for the same price. cheaper to buy AA and a normal tyre for the one in a million time you have a flat. Also do you think a normal tyre would have popped hitting the pothole? or did it tear because there was very little give in the sidewall? i hit a kerb the other day at about 30 (avoiding something in my picasso) my tyre was fine bounced the car right up in the air. not even affected the shape. I dont think a runflat would of been so forgiving. IMO of course.

JRP
17-09-2010, 22:34
personally id say a run flats are a waste of money. you could buy 3 normal tyres for the same price. cheaper to buy AA and a normal tyre for the one in a million time you have a flat. Also do you think a normal tyre would have popped hitting the pothole? or did it tear because there was very little give in the sidewall? i hit a kerb the other day at about 30 (avoiding something in my picasso) my tyre was fine bounced the car right up in the air. not even affected the shape. I dont think a runflat would of been so forgiving. IMO of course.

It was the glass that has made the hole in it, a normal tyre would have exploded i think.. according to my mate who passed the same spot earlier its glass everywhere and pot hole does not look that bad.

he reported it so hopfully it gets cleared up, as for tyre cost its all coverd so i dont have to worry.. Also i have AA that was my fall back, just impressed i got home with a wheel in that state...

btw love you tony :)

Tony Walker
17-09-2010, 22:39
lol thanks :cool:

J$£5GTT
17-09-2010, 22:41
jrpee pee is strange...
:D:cooter:

JRP
17-09-2010, 22:43
jrpee pee is strange...
:D:cooter:

No stranger than susan boyle

J$£5GTT
17-09-2010, 22:45
No stranger than susan boyle

bet shes fab in the sack....
:hump:

JRP
17-09-2010, 22:47
bet shes fab in the sack....
:hump:

:laugh: I would, i would have to be :drunk: and a complete :jerkoff: i would possibly be :chuckup:

Tony Walker
17-09-2010, 22:50
wonder if she sings while she :eek::jerkoff:

J$£5GTT
17-09-2010, 22:52
wonder if she sings while she :eek::jerkoff:

:laugh::dearme:

JRP
17-09-2010, 22:52
Yeah it would be '' i dreamed a dream'' whilst she screams

J8TRO
17-09-2010, 23:43

Replaced my runflats with normal rubber because the Runflats were so harsh, a pot hole at 30 felt like the wheel had fell off.

There are pro's and con's, as JRP's post proves, a tear in the tyrewall like that would have been a change over on a normal tyre, but the end result is both tyres would be scrap. Only the runflat would cost twice as much to replace, and you need to do it straight away.

I'd rather have to change the wheel once in a blue moon than have runflats again.

End of the day, runflats are only on cars because its less cost to the manufacturer, and leaves more room for a bigger boot. win win for them.

When it comes to convenience they win, when it comes to performance and comfort they really don't. Why do BMW's M division fit "normal" tyres to it's M3 etc.................. they know why