PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation

lee1707
16-09-2010, 22:07
Looking for some help. I finally got round to getting my 11 turbo running again after a few months of sitting in the garage.
I replaced the clutch with a valeo volvo 480 turbo, replaced the gearbox oil and gave the car a good service with new plugs, leads, oil filter and oil.
I removed the carb after draining some old fuel out of it and gave it a good clean up removing all jets etc. Upon trying to start it it would not start on the choke but with throttle pressed about 1/4 down it would fire up and run but would not idle on its own. After holding revs at around 2000rpm for 5 mins i tried to increase the engine speed but the engine would not rev freely with full throttle but would increase if throttle was gradually pressed all the way down.

Any idea or help on would be greatly appreciated

SCHWARTZ
16-09-2010, 22:09
double check that the idle jet is clean.

Tony Walker
16-09-2010, 22:10
Check your idle jet isnt blocked thats the easiest place to start.

lee1707
16-09-2010, 22:21
Had it out a few times and cant see any dirt or blockages

Kris M
16-09-2010, 22:34
give the hole that the idle jet screw into a good squirt with carb cleaner or an airline.....can often get abit of crap in there and not the jet itself :)

lee1707
16-09-2010, 23:02
I'll give it another go tomorrow and if all else fails it will be a full strip down and re-build after a bath in some petrol and a good blow through
Cheers

tiff_lee
16-09-2010, 23:32
If you can get the car idling ok but it still struggles to rev freely check your accelerator pump jet as well. I had a problem on mine when opening the throttle any faster than a snails pace the car would stall, turned out to be a dodgy accl jet.

As everyone has suggested though check the idle screw go from there.

Jimmy_GTT
17-09-2010, 08:04
Check also your mixture screw!

lee1707
19-09-2010, 15:48
Gave the carb a complete overhaul today with new seal kit and a good clean in oven cleaner of all things before another clean with carb cleaner, put it all together and fitted it. The car started first turn of the key and runs very smoothly now. Thanks for all the help guys.

1 thing I have come across is the float in the Carb bowl have different part numbers to some in my spare carb and what's on my raider (j4 and j6) does anybody know what the difference is if any?