PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stud conversion

Alastair
15-09-2010, 11:58
I am going to get round to this soon. Plan is to use steel nuts (as per MSA regs) andfit dome decent studs.

Prices are all over the place, lots of people report that the Grayston two thread type ones unscrew after abuse on track. The other option are the splined hammer in type.

Anyone fitted them and got any advice?

What i have found so far:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Wheel_Accessories/Wheel_Nuts_&_Bolts/A_I_Tech_Double_Thread_Conversion_Stud/1288/5357 very expensive and screw in type.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Wheel_Accessories/Wheel_Nuts_&_Bolts/Grayston_Wheel_Stud/1288/5266

These are a better design IMO but advice on the page is that they are not suitable for conversions? - Why not? I think they would fit the 5 hub perfectly?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 13:21
I use Ford studs and nuts..... Mucho cheapness....

Alastair
15-09-2010, 13:34

Matt, which type, screw in or ones with caps and splines?

Andrew Cooke
15-09-2010, 13:35

and in reality better quality too :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 14:08
I use the splined ones with a blob of tig/mig to make sure they don't move....

Alastair
15-09-2010, 14:17
and in reality better quality too :agree:

Thanks Andrew! I'll get some OE Ford ones then and use Matt's suggestion of welding them in too. I take it i will have to remove the stub axle from the hub to push them through from the back - or is there a way to get them in without splitting the bearing?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 14:54
Pm for you

TNT Tricky Nicky
15-09-2010, 15:14
Pm for you

wow that's handy for everyone else who is interested.

what do you plan on doing with the rears? are they still going to be bolts or can you press the splined studs into the rear disc with a blob of weld as i,m not sure if there would be enough meat on the disc to give sufficient grip?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 15:52
[QUOTE=TNT Tricky Nicky;177508]wow that's handy for everyone else who is interested.

???

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-09-2010, 15:54
wow that's handy for everyone else who is interested.

what do you plan on doing with the rears? are they still going to be bolts or can you press the splined studs into the rear disc with a blob of weld as i,m not sure if there would be enough meat on the disc to give sufficient grip?

Remember that Matt didnt get a great response from people after his camber correcting bolts...

If he offered a stud conversion people would only find something to moan about...

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 16:01
Ah, but after I knocked the next day delivery off them and sent them snail mail, they sold very well indeed (elsewhere) but, yes it seems moaning is alot of what people do on here......:)

TNT Tricky Nicky
15-09-2010, 16:42
sorry, didn't realise you were going to be doing a conversion kit and didn't want to give away instructions or trade secrets. my bad.

i was thinking about doing this and obviously was interested in the process, i'll be stripping the hubs down anyway so can press the studs in no problem, just wondered if it could be done with out splitting the hub, as alastair asked, i assumed that is what you pm'd him regarding.

but you probably kno the saying assume makes an ass of u and me.

also i'm sorry your camber correcting bolts didn't get a great response, i don't need any as my car is very much broken at the minute, if i did however i would have had some off you and supported a fellow member :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-09-2010, 16:57
Pm for you too.....

Alastair
15-09-2010, 17:28
These look good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160456765428&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Forged steel and lightweight, but apparently the blue flakes off, black ones are 'blued' steel so last well. Pricey though.

Alastair
15-09-2010, 17:53
Anyone know the size of the water pump bolts that go into the head off hand? M5 or M6 ???

Thanks!

Miller
15-09-2010, 18:03
These look good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160456765428&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Forged steel and lightweight, but apparently the blue flakes off, black ones are 'blued' steel so last well. Pricey though.

I bought two sets of these in black for my wee brothers cars and they have lasted well. One thing that did happen, the adapter cracked for one of the sets.

Chris

philg
16-02-2011, 19:12
Sorry to drag this back up but im looking to do the same.

Is using a splined one a better option than the thread type?

How much of the car need to come apart to fit the spline type from the backs?

Will You be able to re-use when the rear disc's are changed again?

What length did people go for?

Alastair
16-02-2011, 19:22
Sorry to drag this back up but im looking to do the same.

Is using a splined one a better option than the thread type?

How much of the car need to come apart to fit the spline type from the backs?

Will You be able to re-use when the rear disc's are changed again?

What length did people go for?

Splined probably better but more hassel to fit.

You can grind a small part of the hub casting away and get in from the back (not advised), or split the bearing.

Rear disks - they are about a quid fifty each so i would just buy new ford ones when you eventually need to replace the rear disks, sure you could knock them out though but you might bend them.

63mm is pleeeeenty long enough - they stick out a bit on willy wheels :laugh:

Makes putting wheels on and off lots easier/quicker. If you use screw in ones make sure you use loads of good quality thread lock and get them in tight. You can also put a blob of mig on the back to stop them coming out.:agree:

philg
16-02-2011, 19:36
Splined probably better but more hassel to fit.

You can grind a small part of the hub casting away and get in from the back (not advised), or split the bearing.

Rear disks - they are about a quid fifty each so i would just buy new ford ones when you eventually need to replace the rear disks, sure you could knock them out though but you might bend them.

63mm is pleeeeenty long enough - they stick out a bit on willy wheels :laugh:

Makes putting wheels on and off lots easier/quicker. If you use screw in ones make sure you use loads of good quality thread lock and get them in tight. You can also put a blob of mig on the back to stop them coming out.:agree:

I read while searching what is the difference in the ford studs?

63mm, so fitting a spacer on the front of about 6mm should be ok with that length stud?