PDA

View Full Version : Charge Temp list (European members needed)

Chris Hebden
22-10-2008, 20:40
Hello all. With the MOT looming and the car needing alot of work i thought i might try and get some other jobs sorted at the same time!

I plan to take a month off work next year and live a dream i've had for quite a few years (well before i could drive), which is to drive my Renault 5 GT Turbo across europe to Athens, Greece to see my dad!

My main concern is temperatures, expecially charge temps. I have had long discussions with Duncan Grier with regards to charge cooler setups and what he reccomends (thank you very much for that Duncan)

What i am after is to compile a list of as many peoples charge temps on a "spirited" drive as possible and correspond that to the air cooling set up that you run so that i can see what works best, charge cooler or intercooler, especially at higher ambient temperatures which is where i would really appreciate the European members info!

I hope you are willing to help on this and if you have anyother points that i probably havent thought about please let me know. Cheers

Ian S
22-10-2008, 21:06
It's intercooler.

Mike48 had a Pace CC and my Charge temp gauge and we were seeing IIRC 84°C.

The people with my the Forge and the big Mike48 intercooler and my Charge temp gauge are seeing around 40°C. Even when circuit lapping with the outlet temp from the turbo showing about 125°C.

With my Pace standard replacement intercooler I was getting up to 90°C at times.

That with decent power at full usage, usually over 22psi.

Matt Cole
22-10-2008, 23:04
Chris, i would have thought charge temps wouldnt be too much of a problem as i would presume you wouldnt be giving it big licks all the way to greece!! But for your info on my old lump about 17psi a 1 minute run would give me over 70 deg in the summer. Thats with ians gauge and a cossie 2wd front mount, t25 turbo. Not good really.

Scoff
23-10-2008, 01:01
Ian's comments are pretty much backed up by performance results too I'd say.

you should have asked that only people who have atleast a fast responding k-type or equiv thermocouple probe reply, anything else really isn't worth a toss.