PDA

View Full Version : towing/a frame rules and regs

markey b
13-09-2010, 23:34
right, sold my raider for a '52 clio dci...

i'm 26 with full uk licence, but no trailer or anything over 3.5 tonne...

what i'd like to know is...

can i use my clio to tow my 5? either on a tenby or a-frame?

last thing i want to do is buy all the kit, then find out i'm not allowed to do it.

ps. my 5 is taxed, tested and insured, its purely to get it to/from places so that i can give it death and not worry if it breaks

boysie
13-09-2010, 23:49
unless law has changed again anyone who passed there test after 1997 can only tow a load up to 750kg ( part b & b1 on your licence), not sure of weight of a 5, but if your car is well stripped you might be ok:p

markey b
13-09-2010, 23:51
yeah it is pretty light but would be suprised if car + frame would be <750kg

also if i could legally tow the weight, would the clio be legal/safe to do it with?

J$£5GTT
13-09-2010, 23:53
some info markey to the b..

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=10507&highlight=a-frame

mike phase one,scoff an bill have posted stuff on this before im sure.
:)

Miller
13-09-2010, 23:55
look at the second category "B"....... that would say to me that it's ok as long as the total weight is under 3500kg and the towing car is heavier than the car getting towed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

chris

boysie
13-09-2010, 23:57
dont think there is any legal reason why you couldnt tow it with the clio, as long as your using a proper a frame, lights ect ect

**edit, as he said above:wasntme: **

Miller
14-09-2010, 00:10
maybe not.......

http://www.ntta.co.uk/faq/

Penfold aka The Dealer
14-09-2010, 07:04
A-Frame's

The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100.
An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way.

The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal unless its for recovery only (and the car has to be fully road legal).

However, it is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

djinuk
14-09-2010, 07:39
ive towed many times on a frames, often cars with no mot/tax/insurance with no bumpers etc.. I find so long you have a trailer board, have it secure, drive sensiby then you seem to be ok, just speaking from experiance however ive had police following me before with no problems..

Penfold aka The Dealer
14-09-2010, 09:00
I have also used my A-Frame on many occassions, as do many other people, mobile caravan's etc...

I think its a law that it is not enforced, but should the towed car cause an accident the police could use the law and prosecute you & your insurance refuse to pay out etc...

dave r5
14-09-2010, 10:25
If it helps I a-frames a 5 with no engine, no tax mot or insurance
All the way from Dorset
To pitse in Essex using an astra van

Drove past many traffic officers through the tolls
And no 1 battered an eye lid.

Keep to a safe speed 60 mph max on motor way
Good trailor bored and u shud be fine

markey b
14-09-2010, 11:23
can i wire a trailer plug into my car so it works the lights through the trailer socket, or will it just confuse people

Ashy
14-09-2010, 12:47
can i use my clio to tow my 5? either on a tenby or a-frame?

So the answer is you shouldn't, but everyone does and no ones had any problems with it. However, if something goes wrong it would be an easy get out of jail card for your insurance company.

My 2p would be there is no way would I tow an R5 with a clio for anything more than a very short journey. It wouldn't be safe. I took a massive risk when I picked my Passat up from Liverpool and towed it back with a megane estate, I drove home at less than 40mph as the passat kept pushing the back of the megane around on corners, it was fecking scary.

If you are going to do it buy a decent tow car, something with a big of weight to it, not a little clio!

markey b
15-09-2010, 17:50
so the general concensus will be drive there, AA back :laugh: