PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing play

boysie
13-09-2010, 20:36
hi all
i have front end up on stands with drive shafts out, should there be much play on the wheels like this?
i am able to rock it a little bit and there is a slight "thud" when i do, but when car was driven it was ok with no droning,

just wondering if this is pretty normal or if i should be sticking new bearings in while its in bits:scratch:

btw, there was no brake disc or calipers on when i did this, just wheel bolted on to stub axle, to wheel it about.........

dangerous dave
13-09-2010, 21:35
get the car all together and try again, something might have been loose causing it... im sure i could make my steering rack clunk a little if i do a 9oclock to 3 oclock wiggle on the wheel, try a 12 and 6 wiggle and a spinny spin to see if you can hear something..

if not dont worry, when there propper fecked you'll know about it:smokin:

they do wear, i had 15's on and they started to whine but on 13's it went away so i was happy.. worn doesn't always mean worn out:) my 5's never go far so i wouldn't sh1t the bed over it..

boysie
13-09-2010, 22:04
ok thanks:agree:

i figured with drive shafts and brake discs/ pads on it would stop the play but didnt know if there sould be any as it is at moment, wheel spins freely enough

is it much of a feck about to swap as i already have it in bits? its only £25 for a pair but if its a pain i dont know if i can be arsed:coffee:

dangerous dave
13-09-2010, 22:10
ok thanks:agree:

i figured with drive shafts and brake discs/ pads on it would stop the play but didnt know if there sould be any as it is at moment, wheel spins freely enough

is it much of a feck about to swap as i already have it in bits? its only £25 for a pair but if its a pain i dont know if i can be arsed:coffee:

to change the bearing you need to remove the hub unit and press out the wheel hub face, then press out the bearing.. a garage will do it, i was lucky enough to have BigDanC on here swing by and do mine.. :smokin:

not really hard but if your gonna do the tracking on your car or something make sure everythings up to scratch or your pi55ing in the wind..

Tony Walker
13-09-2010, 22:25
The driveshaft helps hold the bearing together. bolt the driveshaft on and try it again.

SCHWARTZ
13-09-2010, 23:10
mine were loose when i took the drive shafts off but like tony said when they went back it all tightened back up and all was fine.

boysie
13-09-2010, 23:32
The driveshaft helps hold the bearing together. bolt the driveshaft on and try it again.

ahh right, never thought of that:ashamed: yea that makes sense, i will check it with shaft on and hopefully that will be one less job:)