PDA

View Full Version : R9 F7R / cutting out

Schakal
13-09-2010, 09:54
the 9 has been playing up since friday evening .engine started cutting out
occassionaly ,the way the revs drop and go back up so suddenly made me think there was a problem with the fuel supply .
carried on driving , the engine died a few times but turning the igntion
back on it started again .after 3-4 miles it got worse to the point where it died totally . checking basics in the dark i realised the fuel
pump was not priming . after messing with fuel pump relay ,earth and power cables to the pump it suddenly worked and managed to get home .

saturday :
got up in the morning ,works fine . after a 3 mile journey picked up my mate and hit the way to castle combe as after 5 miles of driving it started cutting out again . we pulled up at the services and had a play around .
where the earth wire for the fuel pump was bolted, looked a little pitted
so cut the wire up to get a clean connection and bolted it inside the car .
had a test drive around the services ,than hit the m4 .
done the 60 mile journey with no problems and got to the combe thinking
this was it . went on the track ,all good for first few laps than it starts cutting out occassionaly like hitting a brick wall .
engine never died luckily and we managed to finish the session .
than drove the 60 miles back home again , a couple minutes after i dropped my mate home it starts playing up badly again !!!

pulled up to a disused fuel station and checked all the earths and listened out for the fuel pump ,it was priming up at times but not starting .
than all of a sudden it would start up http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
and once i put it in gear and drive away it cuts out again ,with the
engine dieing at times , called rac as a last resort while waiting for him
it did start and idle around 1250rpm which i found was odd with the
engine being hot etc . seeing that its still running agreed RAC man would follow me in his van home(never felt so ghey http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif) and tow me if dies again . apart from the few times it cut out ,i managed to make the 4 mile trip back home parked up .

now the only thing i can think of is the excessive engine movement
that might be causing earth points to move etc . in fact i did find the engine to bulk head earth to be loose at the engine end but even after cleaning and tightening that up it would not start .
than again ,fuel pump is deffo involved somehow with not priming at times .

anyone experienced a fuel pump problem similar ?
other than that what could cause ,the revs to drop so quickly ?

- ignition coil
- tdc sensor
- dizzy cap
- blocked fuel filter

HAndy
22-09-2010, 17:13
if it were me, coil first, check for regular constant spark, then tdc clean up , then injectors /fuel flow/ filter, fuel pressure reg maybe :scratch:

Schakal
22-09-2010, 17:23
should have updated this really :crap:

it was the live wire going to the fuel pump getting jammed
by the fuse box probably shorting out .

since than i have done a 300 mile trip to silverstone and back
with not a single hick up ,touch wood :agree: :p