PDA

View Full Version : Snapped water pump bolts removal

James5
10-09-2010, 09:56
OK need a little assistance at the end of my tether on this now on what should be a fecking simple fix,

I snapped the heads of 2 x water pump bolts about 2months ago leaving about 25mm of bolt thread sticking out of the head now at the time I attempted to remove the snapped bolts with a pair of mole grips but all that did was mess the threads up:crap: (no thread now available).

So trying the 2 nut method was pretty pointless now :crap:, I even used my die set to put a new thread on the snapped studs so I could get some smaller bolts on to try the 2 bolt method and this was pretty pointless as the bolts would just not bite on the stud enough. I then went to halfrauds and purchased there pro range stud extractor set which had 6mm - 12mm stud extractor's i got quite exited thinking yeah this will work.

So after getting worried with the constant small leaks and my thick layers of sealant I decided it was time to sort this properly so in the dark under a street light I whipped the water pump of last night and the fecking 6mm stud extractor is only slightly to big:mad:

I even tried a pair of stilsons I had and they would just not grip enough on the stud :cry:

Now the only things i haven't tried is applying heat and don't really trust myself with heat and i have no mig welder.

Does anyone have any ideas?? or local to BN5 Henfield who has some heat or a mig welder to be able to bulkout my stud's so I can get 1 of the larger stud extractor's in the set' to work?

The 6mm stud extractor should work if I can bulk out the snapped bolt but the bulking out needs to be solid and not move hmm.

My final resort will be to remove the head flush the snapped bolts to the head and drill them out and then re-tap the holes in the head (but that will be my final resort (I have the tools to do this bit).

JRP
10-09-2010, 12:12
I have heat big boy :) as you know, anything i have you think might be useful? like a head ?

James5
10-09-2010, 12:18
I have heat big boy :) as you know, anything i have you think might be useful? like a head ?

JRP my lover when you coming down then with the heat then Big Boy:cooter: I am ok for head though cheers matey :agree: want to stick with the current one as I know it's a good head.:coffee:

Whilst your on the subject of offering parts I think 5teveL would like to borrow an OE steering wheel boss if you have one available for a short peroid.:D

JRP
10-09-2010, 12:23
JRP my lover when you coming down then with the heat then Big Boy:cooter: I am ok for head though cheers matey :agree: want to stick with the current one as I know it's a good head.:coffee:

Whilst your on the subject of offering parts I think 5teveL would like to borrow an OE steering wheel boss if you have one available for a short peroid.:D

As i see you as my brothers from other mothers, i have a boss and heat... when you want me ?

James5
10-09-2010, 12:49
As i see you as my brothers from other mothers, i have a boss and heat... when you want me ?

PM for you my lover:cooter::eek:

Andrew Cooke
10-09-2010, 13:00
slide a big nut over the stud and MIG it on. You get heat and something to put a spanner on, win, win.

Chris Holt
10-09-2010, 13:40
i did something similar a while back, got a heat gun on area around the bolt hot then used a can of pipe freeze and sprayed the bolt directly. The metal on the bolt contracts faster and eased the un screwing.

I will add this was a last resort....

J$£5GTT
10-09-2010, 13:54
if you did end up taking the head off..very last resort,get your self an engineering vice clamped on them an unscrew,worked for me anyway.
:)

James5
10-09-2010, 14:07
slide a big nut over the stud and MIG it on. You get heat and something to put a spanner on, win, win.

Hopefully going to try this method 5teveL is going to have a word with his brother as he has got a protable mig welder:smokin:

JRP
10-09-2010, 14:08
could you not spot weld somthing onto the small bolt thats showing? and remove ?

James5
10-09-2010, 14:17
could you not spot weld somthing onto the small bolt thats showing? and remove ?

Yeah Steve is coming down in a bit with a mig welder i better get on with this work training session I am on:laugh: and stop abusing the Internet:wasntme:

5teve L
10-09-2010, 14:59
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can remember how to weld :scratch:
Glad it's not my head :cooter:

James5
10-09-2010, 19:31
Darn nut to stud weldng worked fine but studs snapped :(

tiff_lee
10-09-2010, 20:37
Blimey did you try heating it up as well? If it snapped again I dare say an easy it won't shift it.

5teve L
10-09-2010, 20:56
I think after welding a nut onto it that it was hot enough ;), just snapped off, both of them, one even snapped twice :(

car.crash
10-09-2010, 20:59
you need to heat the head not the bolt, also make sure the bolt has cooled thoroughly before trying to undo it after welding as the metal will be soft.

tiff_lee
10-09-2010, 21:03
Surely by heating up we are talking red hot with oxy acetylene or something around the area rather than localised from mig'ing

Tony Walker
10-09-2010, 22:00
Dont heat the head. you'll warp it. maybe undo the engine mount nut and lift the engine slightly, drill it and retap it(shouldnt need to take the head off). Shouldnt be too hard.you could try placing the water pump back on with a bolt or two to keep the drill bit straight. just measure the depth of the other threads.

jay28
11-09-2010, 08:16
Take it off!! Not worth risking damaging the head by drilling on the piss or generally ruining it! As for heating it til red, itll take an eternity to heat ally up til it glows!! Grease the bolts when you refit them too.:agree:

jimmy_b
11-09-2010, 11:17
the same has happened on my head but when i tried to remove the snapped bolts they snapped again. i ended up just sealing the waterpump on and bolting it where i could............ so far so good

James5
11-09-2010, 11:52
the same has happened on my head but when i tried to remove the snapped bolts they snapped again. i ended up just sealing the waterpump on and bolting it where i could............ so far so good

Lol I did the sealant thing orginally but after 300 miles ish it seems to leak a little :(