PDA

View Full Version : Corossion treatment

dave r5
08-09-2010, 23:20
Hey guys,
At the eear of my new shel
Were the rear beam bolts up I have some slight
Rust coming through, now normally I'd just brush a bit of paint over it an leave it.
But as this new 1s pretty mint I wana do it properly.

So what do I do?
Flappy disc off the rust, rust cure it then under seal
Or something else ?

Cheers

Kris M
08-09-2010, 23:29
one product.............POR-15 ;)

Look on frost`s restoration and you`l see :D

Tony Walker
08-09-2010, 23:33
be prepared for it to be worse than it looks. once you start grinding the rust off it may become alot more involved. i ended up taking my fuel tank and axle off and having to fabricate new mounting points. but my shell was quite bad.

Tony Walker
08-09-2010, 23:36
Take a look at the second page of pics on my 5 section.

J$£5GTT
08-09-2010, 23:42
Take a look at the second page of pics on my 5 section.

i like that repair work....:agree::)
where the torsion bar bolts go through how did you mark the holes?
originally dont the bolts go through some tubes/guides??..i think...:scratch:
nice job tho!!!
:)

Tony Walker
08-09-2010, 23:52
The guides and holes were still there, theres the cross member and a layer of steel over the top in a triangular shape to the inner sill. It was this that i had to replace and drilled through from the top. Just thought i'd strengthen it up while i was there :)

dangerous dave
09-09-2010, 00:15
one product.............POR-15 ;)

Look on frost`s restoration and you`l see :D

por 15 seems happier to go onto a uber ruff surface, wire wheel the area to a shine and it will peel off pretty easy.. like any paint it needs a good key'd surface so make it ruff..

i've slapped this stuff everywhere on mine after rust hunting and hope it keeps the rot at bay for a few more years.. hoping to get the few holes welded up and then the car will be kept in the dry:)

J$£5GTT
09-09-2010, 00:46
por 15 seems happier to go onto a uber ruff surface, wire wheel the area to a shine and it will peel off pretty easy.. like any paint it needs a good key'd surface so make it ruff..

i've slapped this stuff everywhere on mine after rust hunting and hope it keeps the rot at bay for a few more years.. hoping to get the few holes welded up and then the car will be kept in the dry:)

:agree:,the metal ready is a good product to,and have used 'marine clean',impressed,has keep my sills from rusting more progressive im sure,best paint i have found to date.
:)

dave r5
11-09-2010, 12:08
where can i get por 15

my local place looked at me like a div wen i asked for it
and halfords are just useless

TrixNFlix
11-09-2010, 12:18
Www.frost.co.uk

dangerous dave
11-09-2010, 12:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POR-15-Rust-preventative-paint-Grey-/360292380648?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e3196fe8

they do black but must be out.. i got 2 pots painting all my arches, the underside off the car, behind the bumpers etc and i kicked over 1/3 of a the first one over the driveway :sad2: still got 1/4 of the last pot left..

its like pi55 and does go far but watch out as it stains your skin for weeks and everything else it touches.. get some sh1t new brushes, you can't wash them out and re-use them the next day, there only good for the bin after each use..

price is steep but its good stuff and that act company ship it out quick:)