PDA

View Full Version : Ticking/knocking from engine

monocat
07-09-2010, 21:41
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys

i wonder if you could help me diagnose the source of a knocking sound coming from my engine. This is my first R5 GTT and my mechanic although quite experienced with newer renaults, has little experience with this type of cars. Sadly it is hard to find a mechanic with experience with this cars, R5 community is very small here.

About the knock/tick - it can be heard loudest at idle, after a ride, when the engine is hot.

It is a little difficult for me to explain, so here is a video of my engine idling. The sound can be heard as the highest, irregular sound, it seems to be loudest from underneath the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YdUP_wYX0

Also one more question - i hear a lot that you should leave the engine to run idle for few minutes after a ride, to let the turbo cool down a little. But - when my engine is idling, looking at the temperature gauge - the temperature goes up, till the fan cuts in, not down, is this a normal behaviour for a GTT?

jimmy_b
07-09-2010, 21:59
Also one more question - i hear a lot that you should leave the engine to run idle for few minutes after a ride, to let the turbo cool down a little. But - when my engine is idling, looking at the temperature gauge - the temperature goes up, till the fan cuts in, not down, is this a normal behaviour for a GTT?

yes this is normal, by leaving it running for a minuite you are lettig the turbo itself cool down slowly and this will help the turbo last longer. its the same with letting it warm up before driving it hard.

as for the knocking... is there any swarf in the sump when the oil is drained?

djinuk
07-09-2010, 21:59
not sure on the knock but is taht bottom pulley on tight ? looks a bit off

Slim
07-09-2010, 22:00
cant really tell from that vid mate,, but i could be your manifold gasket,, or manifold crack itself. The vid is not really helpful. But from what you describe sounds moslt likely culprit.

Temperature should rise to js about 3rd line then fan kicks in. This is normal. Unless you have a low temp fan switch. Js give it 30 secs or so to idle if youve been boosting about, so the turbo get some nice oil to cool down. :)

Tony Walker
07-09-2010, 22:41
I'd check and adjust your tappets as a nice easy test, might be a large gap on one of them as it does sound very irregular, also sounds like your camchain maybe rattling. Difficult to say without being there to listen to it. see if you can place a long screwdriver on to the camchain cover and place your ear on it you'll hear the noise through it. (obviously be very carefull its away from any pulleys or the belt) or a stethoscope could be used if you have one.

monocat
07-09-2010, 23:08

thanks a lot for the suggestions! i will check it out.

an additional info - on the vid it is not clearly visible, but i think that the car is shaking more that it should, maybe it is related to that

Jimmy_GTT
08-09-2010, 09:46
Where do you live in Slovakia?
I'm in Budapest. Maybe we are not far away.
I haven't seen the video yet but if the sound is like a diesel engine that it could be because of worn pistons. I had it before with a high milage engine.
But check the tappets first.

monocat
08-09-2010, 19:50

Where do you live in Slovakia?
I'm in Budapest. Maybe we are not far away.
I haven't seen the video yet but if the sound is like a diesel engine that it could be because of worn pistons. I had it before with a high milage engine.
But check the tappets first.

I live in Bratislava, so in fact we are not very far :)

I will consult all the suggestions with my techician, i hope it turns out to be nothing too serious.

Sparkie
08-09-2010, 20:48

I live in Bratislava, so in fact we are not very far :)

only 2.5hrs! :agree:

Jimmy_GTT
09-09-2010, 07:47
That's really not too much. We can have a meeting once. ;)

monocat
09-09-2010, 21:16

That's really not too much. We can have a meeting once. ;)

I will sort this problem, and maybe we could meet for a cofee somewhere in the middle :)

Jimmy_GTT
10-09-2010, 06:26

I will sort this problem, and maybe we could meet for a cofee somewhere in the middle :)

That's fine mate. I hope you can get it sorted soon.

SamBam
13-09-2010, 15:05

Could be anything. Maybe its just a loose exhaust rattling or something like that.
Try shake your engine when its off and see if its gone or not.

grt, Sam