PDA

View Full Version : E7J engine potential

Os8472
07-09-2010, 21:38
been having random thoughts about engine conversions out of the norm and the 1.4ltr energy engine came to mind.

Its a 1390cc, 8value, single ohc, wet lined with a crossflow design, so not to dissimilar to the C1J and won't cause a rise in road tax due no increase in capacity and I dowt the insurance would go up massively cus the engine is no bigger.

Its has a 75.8mm bore and 77mm stroke and makes 80bhp in n/a form, the C1J has a 76mm bore and 77mm stroke and makes 60bhp in n/a form, so with gtt pistons and bored out E-series liners it'd be easy to lower compression ratio.

There are only other 4 things i can see being an issue, 1. the exhaust is on the front so a custom tubular manifold to mount the turbo besides the engine in the gtt location.
2. Would need some sort of inlet manifold as the E-series uses single point injection and i dowt it could keep up with a turbo.
3. The head gasket makes the C1J job look indestructable as its a weak point on the stock engine, so some sort of custom job would be needed.
And 4. Some form of engine management to work with what ever inlet setup is used.

Has anyone ever considered the E-series engine?

Tony Walker
07-09-2010, 21:54
Bottom ends seem week in these, every energy engine ive ever heard sounds like the cranks gonna come through the block, just my opinion of course (but i see these engines all the time) (also always seem to be very knocky after being cooked, headgasket wise)

Tony Walker
07-09-2010, 21:55
Also manifolds allways blow as the bolt nearest the cambelt allways strips its threads.

Scoff
07-09-2010, 21:58
There was a chap in europe somewhere who built a turbocharged E engine, longitudinal in a Mk1 R5.

The C1J should make more like 75 hp NA I'd say, so it might not be a million miles off your E engine already.

Remember you'll want to replace the standard cam with something, and before that you'll want to have looked the head over to see if it's likely to be any better a performer than the C1J's else there might be little point to any of it.

Os8472
07-09-2010, 22:02
ok heard about dodgy manifold studs on old merc V8's where its commen place to helicoil them all as part of any rebuild.

A decent set of heavy duty bearings ground to suite might help, maybe some way of improving the bearing caps, with cross bolting possibly?

Os8472
07-09-2010, 22:10
There was a chap in europe somewhere who built a turbocharged E engine, longitudinal in a Mk1 R5.

The C1J should make more like 75 hp NA I'd say, so it might not be a million miles off your E engine already.

Remember you'll want to replace the standard cam with something, and before that you'll want to have looked the head over to see if it's likely to be any better a performer than the C1J's else there might be little point to any of it.

Only the C2J n/a made 75bhp, the C1J and C3J made 60bhp, i've seen both on a dyno.

The E-series head is crossflow for a start so thats gotta be an advantage, valves are 37.5mm inlet and 33.5mm exhaust, how do they stack up compared to a C1J?

Miller
08-09-2010, 18:59
I sometimes wish i converted Emma car to lpg using this engine...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-1-6-8-valve-engine-K7M-/320585611082?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa464374a

As it is multi point injection (so i would not had to fabricate a inlet manifold) and it makes 110 n/a so would have been a better base. plus i could have got away without dropping the CR as it is just 9.5.

I think if you were to go to the hassle of changing the engine then you may as well go bigger....after all it looks the same as the 1.4 E7J;)

I might get one yet:)

i l k e r
08-09-2010, 19:03
the elders ruled it out long ago :laugh:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=5227

Andrew Cooke
08-09-2010, 19:37
I sometimes wish i converted Emma car to lpg using this engine...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-1-6-8-valve-engine-K7M-/320585611082?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa464374a

As it is multi point injection (so i would not had to fabricate a inlet manifold) and it makes 110 n/a so would have been a better base. plus i could have got away without dropping the CR as it is just 9.5.

I think if you were to go to the hassle of changing the engine then you may as well go bigger....after all it looks the same as the 1.4 E7J;)

I might get one yet:)

I'd think that's a good choice, you might even get one out of a Twingo sport, or whatever it's called...