PDA

View Full Version : poor startin - anytime

jimmy_b
07-09-2010, 00:23
hello people.
im having a few probs with starting my 5.
i have a rejetted carb with choke removed but i use the choke mechanism for a first idle when the engine is cold.

as of late though the car really struggles to start, and as soon as you press the acc the engine will die.

i thought it could be the acc pump on the carb but this seams to be working as it should (not siezed)

i had a quick look on here about the restrictor mod, as i know there isnt any valves in my breathers but from what i read that seams to be a cause to rough idling??

other than the starting issue there is no other issues with the engine, drives and boost perfectly.

can anyone shed any ideas on this for me?

cheers

james

:(

IANMM
07-09-2010, 08:44
pull off all breathers and block the vac on the rear of the manifold see if that helps if it does its ya breathers :)

michael tierney
07-09-2010, 21:03
could very well be weather associated....colder,damper??

jimmy_b
07-09-2010, 21:14
could very well be weather associated....colder,damper??

it lives in my garage so its warm and dry in there, but it will do it anytime

jimmy_b
07-09-2010, 21:15
pull off all breathers and block the vac on the rear of the manifold see if that helps if it does its ya breathers :)

i'll give it ago, could it be the valve on the back of the inlet also?

J$£5GTT
08-09-2010, 00:16
fuel pump..fuel filter..maybe
:)

Dave Reed
08-09-2010, 12:02
Could be your spark plugs worth taking them out and giving them a clean and see if it improves..

Purple_rob
08-09-2010, 22:24
Delete - reread :ashamed:

Tony Walker
08-09-2010, 22:49
If you look down the carb without its top on, as you move the throttle and you see the accelerator pump move does it squirt a little fuel?

jimmy_b
09-09-2010, 19:37
If you look down the carb without its top on, as you move the throttle and you see the accelerator pump move does it squirt a little fuel?

yeh thats ok. when its cranking it will almost catch but if you push the acc it will flood and die.
also when its running an you push the acc if will die untill its warmed up

dangerous dave
09-09-2010, 22:36
yeh thats ok. when its cranking it will almost catch but if you push the acc it will flood and die.
also when its running an you push the acc if will die untill its warmed up

my old 5 did something like this carb cleaning got rid of it, but it takes a while to get it super clean.. you can never get a carb spot on first go, it'll always drag something through it:(

jimmy_b
09-09-2010, 23:42
took it for a drive this eve after checking the breathers and still the same to start.
plugs out an further investigating on sat i think :(

djinuk
10-09-2010, 07:39
check the idle screw in the side of the carb has the o-ring to seal it, i took my idle jet out once and the o-ring dropped off, therefore it never sealed and i had the same symptoms as you.

jesus in the seat of a 5
10-09-2010, 16:06
took it for a drive this eve after checking the breathers and still the same to start.
plugs out an further investigating on sat i think :(

well worth doing jim, if your car is set up to run rich then id definetely check the plugs , i left the cup for a month after a good track day and it wouldnt start for toffee until at national day , me and paul b whipped them out and i wire brushed them till i could see me face in them...:laugh:, she started staright away after and continued to do so since...:)

markey b
11-09-2010, 08:46
clean ya plugs jimmy, and check the gaps if they havn't been out with the head off twice... prob bumped them in situ moving the head about ;)

jimmy_b
11-09-2010, 14:07
spark plugs cleaned but still the same :(

Dave Reed
13-09-2010, 09:43
Try a (good) spare set of plugs.. Check your leads also..

Jimmy_GTT
07-10-2010, 12:43
Have you found a solution? I have the same problem with my tungy.
I think it could be caused by a weak earth cable. As my car only starts with a fully charged perfect condition battery. But won't with any weaker. But my friend's GTT starts perfectly with the battery I can not use.

jimmy_b
07-10-2010, 18:23
I think it could be caused by a weak earth cable. As my car only starts with a fully charged perfect condition battery. But won't with any weaker. But my friend's GTT starts perfectly with the battery I can not use.

no i havent sorted it out yet. it now only seams to be from cold.
once its warmed or been used, when cranking you can pump the throttle and it will fire, but from cold it just cuts it out

jimmy_b
23-10-2010, 19:11
FINALLY its sorted :D

its been getting worse and worse lately so i decided to strip an old carb and see how whats what.

what i found was that when i push the acc fuel was drippin out of the little brass pipe at the top of the carb (acc jet??).

i took it off and blew through it and could here it was blocked.
i removed this jet from the older carb and did the same and it was clear.
fitted it, rebuilt the carb and tried it and first time it cranked it started

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Ian S
23-10-2010, 19:28
It's not too difficult to clean all the metal to metal earth connections and see it that makes a difference. As a test, you could add another earth wire from the head to the battery and see if that makes a difference.

On my car I re-did all the earth connections so they were better than brand new and it still was not really good enough until I direct wired the ECU, missing out the ignition key from supplying any large current. That was then the best starting my car ever had and I've owned it from nearly new in 1992.

See the bottom of this article under Addendum: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4724