PDA

View Full Version : Overfuelling...warning long story!

Bass J
05-09-2010, 20:26
Ive already spoke to marky mark on msn.

Basically ...my cars kicking out black smoke ...last person to check my carb was miller ..it ran absolutely fine. up until a point when we had major rain showers.

It sounded like a missfire ..so i whipped the plugs out ..cleaned the dis cap ..when puttin in a plug i crossthreaded the thread on the head :( ..so we tapped the thread ..and the spark plug was leaking compression.. I drove it ..and it had a fair bit of black smoke ..unburnt fuel it was ..i put this down to the compression leaking in out the spark plug hole. So a new head it was.

Put the new head on ..along with new spark plugs..new gaskets the lot. It now doesnt missfire but doesnt run right ..it splutters and black smoke comes out the back on idle. .its idling really rough also.

Ive already checked if there was fuel dribbling down the venturi on idle and there wasnt..already cleaned the idle jet. And tried reseting the mixture adjustment on the carb ..it didnt change either.

We also checked the fuel pressure after the FPR ..it read 0.2bar ..which im told is fine.

Has anyone any ideas on what to look out for?

Cheers :)

5teve L
05-09-2010, 21:00
Try sealing the carb base with sealant, apply a very small amount ot the inlet gaskets but not the bottom of the carb. Also check for slight air leaks elsewhere, vacuum hoses, dump valve, one way valve etc.
Failing that you need to rip the carb apart & clean it inc getting the emulsion tube out if poss.
Itake it when you took the head off the valves/pistons etc looked ok

Bass J
06-09-2010, 00:23
aye they looked fine ..the carb was overhauled not that long ago ..and checked by miller a few months ago...its just since the bad weather ..my car has a clio 16v bonnet on it with no rain catcher ..since the heavy rain its been running terrible :dearme:

Alastair
06-09-2010, 05:49
Try swapping the carb with a known good one from a mate if you can. That will rule the carb out... or in which is much more likely!

Bass J
06-09-2010, 18:52
I dont know if my mate would let me borrow his carb :laugh::laugh:. but thanks for the advice :)

Alastair
06-09-2010, 20:00
I dont know if my mate would let me borrow his carb :laugh::laugh:. but thanks for the advice :)

Pah Bass, feed him some of that Tennants pish and he'll give in ;) :wasntme::wasntme::wasntme:

Only a 10 minute job to swap carbs:laugh:

reco
08-09-2010, 22:37
haha don't drink tenants

carb is available if needed :)

Bass J
09-09-2010, 00:16
would have to offer san miguel :laugh: ..haha ..got miller coming over on friday evening to have a look at it.

I will post our outcome if we get it sorted :smokin: