PDA

View Full Version : Clio Cup pic (2000)

Ricardo
04-09-2010, 19:39
Nothing too special, found this pic amongst many old BTCC photos i took throughout the 2 years i went (98-00) before they changed the rules and regs in 2000. It's Renault :ashamed:

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn442/Ricardo-1974/scan0015.jpg

gtmatt
04-09-2010, 22:37
amazing pic mate , bet there is not many of them ph 1 left cup spec :)

jimmy_b
05-09-2010, 22:47
it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on one of these for some trackday fun!

The new Bill J
06-09-2010, 11:59
it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on one of these for some trackday fun!

They're not hard to find for sale. I'd love one :cool:

Ricardo
06-09-2010, 19:40
My phase 1 Clio 172 is getting there (slowly) in need of bucket seats, harnesses then the 6 point cage. Debating whether to go with the period decals like the ones on the 172 in the pic above

Sam Fish
17-09-2010, 13:25
My Dad ran a few in that year. I think Rick and Jim Jnr where on the front row at that meeting.

Paul Lomax (with the blue bumper, silver body) rolled his 3 times over in that race. The drivers door came open, so I believe Renault had a close look at the latches at that point.
I have some good pictures of mid-flight, but internet is too slow at the moment :crap:

In fact, all those three drivers came from racing Renault 5GT Turbo's :agree:
Jim Edwards won the championship in 1990. Rick Pearson won it when it was the Super coupe cup.

Ricardo
17-09-2010, 18:36
Sam, i don't suppose you know if the cup cars of that time had items made i.e foglight ducts, different airbox? etc. Specific to that series

Sam Fish
17-09-2010, 19:28
yeah, they had a few different bits.
My dad seems to remember the airboxes being similar or the same to the ph1 clio V6 airboxes.....
they had fog-light ducts, but have long since been unavailable. They where really nice neat fitting ones that sat inside the fog 'hole'.
I would upload a picture for you, but my internet is running at 200kbs at the mo...

If I could have ANY cup race car, it would be a ph1 clio 172 version..... Or a spider cup car.

Ricardo
18-09-2010, 13:51
yeah, they had a few different bits.
My dad seems to remember the airboxes being similar or the same to the ph1 clio V6 airboxes.....
they had fog-light ducts, but have long since been unavailable. They where really nice neat fitting ones that sat inside the fog 'hole'.
I would upload a picture for you, but my internet is running at 200kbs at the mo...

If I could have ANY cup race car, it would be a ph1 clio 172 version..... Or a spider cup car.

I have pics of the Spider cup cars too, i'll dig em out and scan them. I seem to remember Jason Plato racing in that series before moving up to Renault Williams BTCC in the Renault Laguna.

Sam Fish
19-09-2010, 21:56
yeah, he won it well.
My dad wanted to run some spiders but the drivers didnt come. He said he spoke to plato, but the deal didnt happen, which is a shame in retrospect!
I have no idea what the annual budgets where compared to clios, but I think the prize was a test in the laguna touring car. I THINK the clio prize in 2000 was a clio 172, and the prize money during the year, which would have just paid for the season if you won EVERY race and Qualifying. I think thats about right :crap:. Not the same anymore!
I would love to have a ride in a spider at full race speed!