PDA

View Full Version : Fitting valve stem seals

SPENCER
04-09-2010, 12:32
I'm just looking at replacing some stem seals on a cylinder head and the old ones that came off have rubber on the inside and are an extremely good fit to the end of the guide.

The new ones are just plastic and fit loosely over the top of the valve guide so have I been supplied the wrong ones? I noticed all the ones for sale now are plastic and not rubber inside. Perhaps the old ones are not even renault items?

Can someone please shed some light on how they should fit or where to get the
correct ones :agree:

heres a pic, old (slightly squashed one) on the left.

cheers

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2959/stemseals.jpg

phase i 16 v turbo
04-09-2010, 12:59
The white ones are Renault ones the other I think are from another car manufactor but work well and sometimes suppied as the uprated ones.

SPENCER
04-09-2010, 13:06
ok thanks so if they are the right ones, does it not matter that the plastic ones don't fit snuggly on the guide?

does it just rely on the spring seat to hold it down?

J$£5GTT
04-09-2010, 18:27
ok thanks so if they are the right ones, does it not matter that the plastic ones don't fit snuggly on the guide?

does it just rely on the spring seat to hold it down?

i done mine a few mths ago now,yeah we just clipped them on,admit they not a tight secure fit,but seem to do there job well enough.

:)

James5
04-09-2010, 19:54
I'm just looking at replacing some stem seals on a cylinder head and the old ones that came off have rubber on the inside and are an extremely good fit to the end of the guide.

The new ones are just plastic and fit loosely over the top of the valve guide so have I been supplied the wrong ones? I noticed all the ones for sale now are plastic and not rubber inside. Perhaps the old ones are not even renault items?

Can someone please shed some light on how they should fit or where to get the
correct ones :agree:

heres a pic, old (slightly squashed one) on the left.

cheers

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2959/stemseals.jpg

That looks like a cosworth valve stem seal to me and they are a muh better fit than the OE Renault jobs:D

turbo ted
04-09-2010, 21:49
there off a vauxhall 2litre 16v red top engine i had them fitted to my c1j engine you get two sets for the price of one, better than the original renault items which are ****e;)