PDA

View Full Version : 5 gtt wont start.

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 14:11
:cry:right so iv put my (5 gtt ph2) back together for the second time this year, and it fails to start

i turn the key to 1st position and the dash lights up as usual, then go to start the engine and the startor lurches and stops, after a split second. all the lights go out except for the handbrake!

iv wired the starter up with the two thick cables on the same terminal, and the small white wire going to the solinoid. is this correct?

also anybody in the west midlands that could lend me a hand/put me right
i will pay with tea/coffe and B.E.S.T sarni's

iv never even driven my 5 and after all the hours iv spent on it its a shame to brake it or sell as spares/repairs im considering sending it to cgb let them figure it out, i just want it on the road :cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2010, 14:37
Sounds like poss bad connections on the battery or even that battery is on its way out.

Check the terminals on the battery and the connectons, giving them a clean up if needs be.

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 15:08
Sounds like poss bad connections on the battery or even that battery is on its way out.

Check the terminals on the battery and the connectons, giving them a clean up if needs be.

i have tried 2 batterys, one is a varley red top :D but still the same, and double checked the terminals :(

Kenobi
29-08-2010, 19:31
i have tried 2 batterys, one is a varley red top :D but still the same, and double checked the terminals :(

Bad Earth?

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 19:46
will try the earth tomorro, just remembered while fitting the two power leads to the starter the unit that there attached to moved, not a great deal maybe only 2mm not the actual metal case but the gubbins inside it could this of bost and caused problems?

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 20:51
WOOHOO :yeah: was the rear engine to bulkhead earth, all corroded and shizz :cool:

sooooo found some spare welder earthing wire and it started :wasntme:

although when i rev it, it is hessitant im thinking it could be the carb vacume hoses, time for some diagrams!!!

first i had me missus n mum pushing it down the road (so i could eliminate the starter) and then i tried the earth, so ran back to the house to get a jumplead to run from battery to engine, then running back to the car i couldnt help but fall in love with her (car not the missus), the way she was sat there,

sphinX
30-08-2010, 19:23
congrats tone

philg
30-08-2010, 19:35
well done, i hope my little sod starts this week, or it will be up for sale lol