PDA

View Full Version : it wont start

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 13:44
:cry:right so iv put my (ph2) back together for the second time this year, and it fails to start

i turn the key to 1st position and the dash lights up as usual, then go to start the engine and the startor lurches and stops, after a split second. all the lights go out except for the handbrake!

iv wired the starter up with the two thick cables on the same terminal, and the small white wire going to the solinoid. is this correct?

also anybody in the west midlands that could lend me a hand/put me right
i will pay with tea/coffe and B.E.S.T sarni's

iv never even driven my 5 and after all the hours iv spent on it its a shame to brake it or sell as spares/repairs im considering sending it to cgb let them figure it out, i just want it on the road :cry:

J$£5GTT
29-08-2010, 18:18
the two thick cables,one coming from the battery supply + an the other goes to the alternator that sounds ok,an the solenoid one to,have you refitted that spade connector to?

check your earths maybe.

more info here to-

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php?searchid=241

dont consider selling/breaking your car,not just yet,we have all been through this before,keep plugging away and in the long run it will be worth it!!
:burnrubber::)

Shane P
29-08-2010, 18:33
Is the battery charged enough?

Trying jump starting it off another car

Get yourself one of these : http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14469/Electrical-Supplies/Electricians-Tools/Circuit-Testers/Autoranging-Digital-Multimeter?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Electrical%20Supplies-_-Autoranging%20Digital%20Multimeter

Check the battery has above 12 volts when not running and over 14 volts when running (once you get it to start that is) :)

JohnAldridge101
29-08-2010, 18:57
Is the battery charged enough?

Trying jump starting it off another car

Get yourself one of these : http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14469/Electrical-Supplies/Electricians-Tools/Circuit-Testers/Autoranging-Digital-Multimeter?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Electrical%20Supplies-_-Autoranging%20Digital%20Multimeter

Check the battery has above 12 volts when not running and over 14 volts when running (once you get it to start that is) :)

yes iv tried 2 batterys and still no good, one is a varley red top with 12.8v freshly charged

IANMM
31-08-2010, 08:51
:cry:right so iv put my (ph2) back together for the second time this year, and it fails to start

i turn the key to 1st position and the dash lights up as usual, then go to start the engine and the startor lurches and stops, after a split second. all the lights go out except for the handbrake!

iv wired the starter up with the two thick cables on the same terminal, and the small white wire going to the solinoid. is this correct?

also anybody in the west midlands that could lend me a hand/put me right
i will pay with tea/coffe and B.E.S.T sarni's

iv never even driven my 5 and after all the hours iv spent on it its a shame to brake it or sell as spares/repairs im considering sending it to cgb let them figure it out, i just want it on the road :cry:

alright mate......if you can get it don my unit i will sort it if not i can pop and see you

ian

JohnAldridge101
31-08-2010, 12:29
Cheers, I have sorted it now, was the rear earth, rotten lead by the connection, and now it's for sale lol

IANMM
31-08-2010, 12:55
lol no prob