PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the crank seal

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2010, 18:38
Car is diasassembled. I can get the old one out with a screedriver.
(I'm writing aboout the crank seal at the flywheel side.)
http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/ekmps/shops/cgbmotorsport/images/dscf8571%5Bekm%5D400x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg
But how to insert the new one?
Do you use any sealing compund on the seal?
Or only a little oil to push it to its place easier?
I have no specail tool. How can I push it to its place?
Shall I push it some mm 'not too deap' as the old one was?
Thanks for any help!

SCHWARTZ
28-08-2010, 18:41
as the old one was (unless there is a groove then a little further back) little oil on the seal both sides. use a big socket or tube of the same size as the seal to push it in.

Andrew Cooke
28-08-2010, 18:41
a bit of oil, ease the inner carefully over the end of the crank, then gently tap the seal in using a hammer, working around the edge.

But, that doesn't look like a genuine seal, I'd throw that away and get one from Renault.

J$£5GTT
28-08-2010, 18:45
clean out the oil seal recess,plunge the new seal in clean engine oil and install,you can use the old seal to push it in,make sure its square.maybe use a small block of wood an tap in gently using the old seal..
:)

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2010, 19:54
Thanks for all the advices.
It is only a picture for reference. I use original seal.
So nobody uses any sealant. Only a bit of oil.

michael tierney
28-08-2010, 21:23
as the old one was (unless there is a groove then a little further back) little oil on the seal both sides. use a big socket or tube of the same size as the seal to push it in.
good point groove he's talking about is on the crank surface where the lip of the seal has worn it!

SCHWARTZ
28-08-2010, 21:32
yer should have explained that better :laugh:

Jimmy_GTT
29-08-2010, 07:13
good point groove he's talking about is on the crank surface where the lip of the seal has worn it!

Okay I now what groove he is talking about, but I can't really understand the 'farter back' expression.
So do you mean I do not have to push the seal not as deep as it was before? Or even deeper?
Thanks

SCHWARTZ
29-08-2010, 10:08
yes basicly bit further back or not as far back depending on where the groove is if there is one.

Jimmy_GTT
29-08-2010, 19:37
yes basicly bit further back or not as far back depending on where the groove is if there is one.

I have checked, there is no groove at all.
It was a big fight till I could get the old one out. I've drilled small holes in the old one and put little screws in, and with a pliers I was able to pull the old one out.
The neww one will be inserted tomorrow.

J$£5GTT
29-08-2010, 20:02
if the old seal has worn groove in the journal drive the seal in a couple mm more if not then fit the outer face flush with the block and bearing cap.

Jimmy_GTT
29-08-2010, 20:09
if the old seal has worn groove in the journal drive the seal in a couple mm more if not then fit the outer face flush with the block and bearing cap.

Thanks mate,
I haven't see any groove at all, so I'll fit it flush with the block.