PDA

View Full Version : crankcase pressure

HAndy
25-08-2010, 20:57
after a trip to the rollers today my f7p engine seems to be leaking around the crank seals, both ends , whats the chances of that:confused::confused:could it be crankcase pressure causing this, sump was leaking last week, but re sealed that and now this :( i could understand if one was leaking ,but both?? engine only run for 2-3 miles and an hour on rollers for running in map, problem only shows when on throttle,have enlarged both breathers pipes on rocker to 10mm and 13mm and removed breather plate from inside of of rocker,thinking this might solve breathing issues , but no, anybody got any ideas :confused: oil was pushing out of sump in a wide fine oil flim , not dripping from a given point ,hence why i think it could be pressure build up, would the breather pot work as used on volvo 440/480 turbo block as this shares the same block as f7p,or is it deffo engine apart job again:cry::cry:

HAndy
25-08-2010, 21:01
just add , old boy at local scrappy said that if these engines are tight from a new build ,prone to pressure build up and need running in and the pressure build up stops, not heard this before but :scratch:

cant see it being the supercharger/turbo causing it??

JP Racing
26-08-2010, 15:32
The causes of high crankcase pressure may be trace to excessive blow-by due to worn piston rings, a hole or crack in a piston crown, loose piston pin retainers, worn turbo oil seals, defective turbo, cylinder head or excessive exhaust back pressure.Also, the breather tube or crankcase ventilator should be checked for obstructions.

Found this on the net so first thing to do is a compression test to see if you are getting a complete seal on you rings etc. It might be due to the rings needing time to bed in. If all comes back ok then there are the other things to look at :)

HAndy
26-08-2010, 22:21
cheers geeza :)

hows your neck:laugh::laugh:;) all good fun

i'm going to drill and tap a threaded connector direct into bottom of engine block on the rear face just left of the oil pick up point that feeds the turbo, with a 10mm internal size, this may help as c1j has a breather pipe in sump also, and do a compression check on the weekend, just to make sure, engine runs fine so that should come back all good with the rings :scared:

just out of interest has anybody had same issues with the f7p/r and f4r turbo engine set up??

Scoff
27-08-2010, 00:17
Hi Andy

Mine has only a single 1/2" bore breather from the rocker, not had any probs, and that runs tonnes of boost. You getting pressure even with no boost ? Maybe its not pressure, maybe you're just unlucky with the seals.

You could try measuring crank case pressure, you could plumb a gauge into the tdc alignment hole or something.

JP Racing
27-08-2010, 09:54
You could also use a manometer gauge connected to the oil dipstick to get a reading :)

HAndy
27-08-2010, 15:03
thanks jp,scoff for the replys, glad somebody has read my post and offered some advice:)