PDA

View Full Version : Coiover/Suspension setup

Ricardo
24-08-2010, 22:48
Now i have the coilovers fitted, ideally i'd like to have them set as the K Tec items have the adjustable camber. On speaking to a company local to me, they suggested having the toe in/out, camber and ride height done and suggested the car while it's with them go on corner weights.

Price is £200, is this reasonable?? The other thing is i'm looking to remove the rear seats and fit bucket seats in the next month so to me should i wait until this is done then have it on the corner weights and set up as the difference in items fitted to the car?

I live in Essex :ashamed: can anyone recommend a company you've maybe dealt with that are fair in price and do a decent job? :)

Andrew Cooke
24-08-2010, 22:53
Now i have the coilovers fitted, ideally i'd like to have them set as the K Tec items have the adjustable camber. On speaking to a company local to me, they suggested having the toe in/out, camber and ride height done and suggested the car while it's with them go on corner weights.

Price is £200, is this reasonable?? The other thing is i'm looking to remove the rear seats and fit bucket seats in the next month so to me should i wait until this is done then have it on the corner weights and set up as the difference in items fitted to the car?

I live in Essex :ashamed: can anyone recommend a company you've maybe dealt with that are fair in price and do a decent job? :)

Are they shimming the rear axle to get it right for that, if so it's a good price, is not it's not. Your rear seats won't make much difference to the setup, if you do need to tweek the height just adjust both sides the same.

Ricardo
24-08-2010, 23:14
Shimming the rear, assuming that means the camber shims wasn't mentioned. They said that as it's lowered there's no guarantee we've set both sides the same, lowering it gives it negative camber and changes the toe so it all needs checking. He wanted £150 to set the front up and for the extra £50 would put it on corner weights. Obviously before parting with hard earned I thought i'd put it on here to see if it all sounds ok

Rear is just dampers and lowering springs

Andrew Cooke
25-08-2010, 01:07
Do you have somewhere really flat to park the car, a warehouse with a concrete floor? If so do your own cambers, all you need is one of these

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/_21731_170238.jpg
stand it vertical with the bottom edge against the wheel rim, slightly offset so that the top is also near the rim, with a second rule measure the distance between the top of the level and the rim.

now, here's the clever bit 5.24mm = 1deg

Once you've set the camber you can either pay to get it tracked, or I'll tell you how to do it yourself for peanuts.

Don't stress about corner weights, if you've adjusted both platforms the same it won't be far out, plus how do you want to set it, empty, you in, you and a carefully chosen passenger? BTW, I checked mine with me in, there was 5Kg of crossweight, we only set the F1 cars to within 3Kg. Ok, that was more luck than anything, but I didn't pay £50 to find that out.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
25-08-2010, 07:33
I can do it for you ...... A lot less than they have quoted you. Matt@codered

Matt Cole
25-08-2010, 08:25
Ric,

Take good advice from Andy and try and do it yourself. It would probably want checking/re-adjusting after a hard track day anyway which equates to a lot of £200's!

Ricardo
25-08-2010, 18:39
Andy, thanks for all the tips and advice :) i most certainly won't be spending that kind of money, certainly at the place i went to. I'm trying to be careful with money and would only spend it if necessary :ashamed:

Matt C, was thinking that today, can you imagine paying good money to have something set up, only to have to re do weeks later. Kinda wished the coilovers just had the 2 holes for the hub and not the camber correctors and the elongated top hole :ashamed: Was thinking of uprating the rubber donuts and top mounts, i guess i could buy em before having it set up.

Matt5, sounds interesting