PDA

View Full Version : ND 2011 venue suggestion

Miller
22-08-2010, 11:51
After being asked about the possibility for a new nd venue i am starting this thread for suggestion from the members, so now is your opportunity to say your bit regarding venues.

Before you add your suggestion can i please ask for venues to be located in central UK, so no Scottish or of south of england venues please . This is so we can maximise numbers at the event and it would make it fair for everyone with regards to travelling.

I will close this thread on next Thursday and start making phone calls on Friday.

Regards
Chris:)

Mart
22-08-2010, 12:00
If money allows, I'd jump through hoops if we could get Donington. They've literally started doing trackdays there again, and to help get their events ball rolling, they might cut us a club discount price. It's fairly central, easy reach from the M1, and the museum is defo worth a look around, plus I think they'd allow us to camp on-site.

If not, as per the other thread, a hill-climb/sprint venue might make a nice change - Curborough isn't a million miles away from where we were last weekend, and the infamous Shelsley Walsh isn't too grim for all to get to either.

Miller
22-08-2010, 12:05
1. Donington
2. Curborough
3. Shelsley Walsh

Mart
22-08-2010, 12:14
Going on Andy's comments in the other thread, perhaps 2 & 3 are already a no go, unfortunately.

However, http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track-days.php (http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track-days.php) - Perhaps we could hire an airfield with these guys, then that gives us the option of track attack, sprinting section, or both (if the airfield/'track' is large enough).

rat1
22-08-2010, 12:15
i agree with Mart donington would be great :yeah::yeah:

Penfold aka The Dealer
22-08-2010, 12:17
:agree: i would pay alot more for a track like donington, a real track :)

SP33DY
22-08-2010, 12:18
I've never been to Donnington so wouldn't mind a crack at that, but I do have a soft spot for cadwell and anglesey.

Mart
22-08-2010, 12:19
I'd happily pay double this year's asking entry/track ticket price if we could get Donington.

Andrew Cooke
22-08-2010, 12:22
I'd happily pay double this year's asking entry/track ticket price if we could get Donington.

shoot, just worked out that it's 23 years since I did Donnington :cry:

You'd stand more chance of getting Prescott than Shelsley, the Midland Automobile Club make the Bugatti lot seem normal. Plus, to be honest, Shelsley is a bit dull to drive.

<<-- that's the exit of the top S at Shelsley

Mart
22-08-2010, 12:34
:cool:

To be honest, I'll be happy with wherever we end up. It's all about hooking up with you lads, drinking beer (or strawberry & lime Kopparberg as it was this year (thanks Bill)), and having a good laugh :agree:

If I can get my car on track (or hill-climb) as well, that's a nice bonus :)

Donington would be a fricking awesome ND though :D ;)

IANMM
22-08-2010, 12:42
Shakespear Raceway

Andrew Cooke
22-08-2010, 12:49
Shakespear Raceway

worth asking, but they have only a few days a year when cars can run due to the neighbours. It's a bit of a dump, but what's the camping like? I suppose it must be OK if they have the Bulldog Bash there :scared:

Alastair
22-08-2010, 13:04
Going on Andy's comments in the other thread, perhaps 2 & 3 are already a no go, unfortunately.

However, http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track-days.php (http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track-days.php) - Perhaps we could hire an airfield with these guys, then that gives us the option of track attack, sprinting section, or both (if the airfield/'track' is large enough).

MSE are a good track day company, ive done a few of their days :agree:.

I'd like to do Castle Coombe but with their prices and availability i doubt we would get it. Donnington, Harewood, Oulton Park are all winners from me! As is good old Mallory really, it does offer a good all round venue, i think we forget just how good a venue it actually is!!! What about a 'non competetive 15 lap race' in the afternoon next year? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We could perhaps do a small auto-test session too for the handbrake addicts :scared:;)

I think we will struggle for venue and liability insurance / MSA approval for 'competetive' events with prizes / classes etc, and also for people without MSA race licences, but timed 'non competetive' events like pugfest may be the way to go...

We could also pay for an MSA scrutineer to attend - one person won't be much and would provide 'assurance' for H&S / insurance purposes.

Andrew Cooke
22-08-2010, 13:08
As is good old Mallory really, it does offer a good all round venue, i think we forget just how good a venue it actually is!!!

:agree:

car.crash
22-08-2010, 16:09
i would love donnington, a friends doing a trackday on his bike there next week.
shakespear is crap so not sure why we would use that when we have pod.
i personally would prefer a track to a hillclimb but i will come even if we end up in a field like 2007.

The new Bill J
22-08-2010, 16:38
Donington Park would be awesome. It would be great to see the RTOC National Day at a 'premier' circuit. I fear it may be way out of budget though. The MLR have got a trackday there in September (on a week day). It's £209 for members, and £249 for non-members, which is the same as they charge for Spa! Trying to get hold of Donington on a weekend, in the middle of summer, could prove to be a tad expensive. I'd love to be wrong though.....

Cadwell Park is an great circuit as well (nicknamed the mini Nurburgring), and the little Renault's are at home there, with it's tight and twisty layout.

As others have said though - I'll be there if it's in a field, in the middle of no where. For me, the National Day is about meeting up with my mates for a good old laugh, and perving over some of Renault's finest :agree:

Steve
22-08-2010, 16:49
Donington is a good bet as i believe they are trying to build a returning customer base.
The fact RTOC ND is annual event may get you a good rate especially if it's known Mallory has been used for previous years.;)
Camping is no probs ala Rock Festival, also larger open pit area with garages in case it rains:cool:

Mallory is still a good venue, but if you had the choice ?
I know which would win:D

Ian S
22-08-2010, 18:04
I have an idea that Donnington was maybe £18,000 when Miller and I discussed booking it for the 2007 ND.

Either way, it was a lot, and at the limit of what this club could stand.

In the end they moved the FSC date to near what Miller was looking at and as time was running short to book anywhere at all, and as it was a big financial risk to do it alone, we joined with them.

The club is not taking the same quantity of money now as then. So we have to be careful to not blow all the reserve and then find we've made the biggest loss ever and be unable to have ND / pod days for a year or two.

I think it fair to say that the only reason we don't have a Pod Saturday each year is due to the (expected?) vast loss at Brunters and the simple fact that that years Pod day was not booked as the club went instead to Brunters for what was intended to be a bigger better day. If the intended track day loss had been minimised, by choosing a smaller venue, there was enough money to do both that year and probably each year since.

Since that discontinuity of our yearly booking, Pod have not wanted us there at a weekend. Maybe the loss to the club of Rach was a factor as she seemed to get anything she asked for at Pod. Whether they'd have anyway eventually said, sorry not enough money is made for Pod by RTOC and we can't offer further weekends' we'll never know.

One thing is for sure though, with no loss this year at Mallory, we're in a better position. If we don't over do it, and only 96 paying drivers turning up at Donnington probably will be, we could maybe do a Pod weekend as well if it could be had and felt to be worth it over the Pod Friday where only 50 people turn up. I have a vague recall that 700 turned up for the last Pod Saturday in 2005. Having said that, Pod do keep something like half of the money as well as charging a big fee, which is why we always made a loss, even with a good turnout.

Steve
22-08-2010, 19:00
Ian don't forget Donington then & now are worlds apart.
Donington had Moto GP, BTCC, World Superbike, World Series etc etc etc now it has nothing!

It will be bending over backwards to gain 'regular' income so it can plan for the future.

I was trying to book it on behalf of Renaultsport as I was pestering JT to find alterantive events to the MSV tracks & yes it was expensive.

May be worth a chat, i'm there on Tues so i'll ask re prices, if you like?

Penfold aka The Dealer
22-08-2010, 19:07
Something i was thinking was perhaps asking members to pay £50 earlier to help towards the possibility of securing a track like donington (£50 off for those members who pay up early + maybe a small token bonus from the club...).... if we cant get donington then the £50 could go towards Mallory track time...

Os8472
22-08-2010, 19:09
Donny if possible, ,mallory and pod if not

jaffa
22-08-2010, 19:14
As is good old Mallory really, it does offer a good all round venue, i think we forget just how good a venue it actually is!!!

warpspeed
22-08-2010, 20:46
Cadwell can be split into 3 layouts, the one we're interested in with the mountain section is called the woodland circuit, msv may offer that section cheaper as it would only require maybe 5-6 marshalls but the only prob i can see it that it's a small layout so could prob only accomodate 15 cars max at any one time although the straight is long enough that overtaking wouldn't be a prob.
The clubhouse is at the top of the mountain with a liscensed bar :beer:and the campsite with toilets and showers (communal mind and a bugger to use as the temp won't stay steady!) is just 30 secs walk from the clubhouse.

Donington sounds good too :D

I personally would be very happy to go back to Mallory as i think their laid-back attitude suits our club but don't really mind where we end up as long as it is a proper track IMO, can't really see the point in airfield 'tracks' and drag strips aren't really my cup of tea, hillclimbing is an interesting idea but really has to be competative otherwise there's not much point in just driving the hill.

What about Angelsey? prob wouldn't be too expensive and it's not like their's many neighbours for us too p*ss off! :D

TNT ANDY
24-08-2010, 06:17
Snetterton anyone?

Not too sure about camping, but I can do some local research if needed.

That said - Mallory is still a very good venue, and TBH as long as the event goes on, the location is not too important.

Bruce - BHPerformance
24-08-2010, 10:31
I like the idea of donnington and would be willing to pay extra to secure it.
However, even Mallory failed to sell out to RTOC members so would a larger track make this worse or would the same amount of people just end up paying more???

I would love to go back to Cadwell as only done it in the old TS racer (Shed 7) and don't think the distance would put off too many people as its all about the social as previously stated.
How about a more northern track one year and a more southern the next? Share the love!

big t
24-08-2010, 10:35
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quite happy with Mallory.
Donnington would be good, as would Cadwell Park (01507 343248).
I think Anglesea (01407 811 400) would also be great.
Teeside Autodrome (01642 231117) might be worth a look. They have camping on site. Although it might be a bit to far north for the southern softies!
I personaly would not go to Rockingham or Snetterton.

Steve
24-08-2010, 11:03
Donington Park contact number 01332 810048.
But to book trtack you need to email a guy called Robert, i have pm Penfold the info;)

Brigsy
24-08-2010, 11:13
Teesside autodrome is too small with it being a kart track & as for camping your next to what used to be the car crime capital of europe:scared:

I think mallory is a great venue & accomodates for the clubs needs well, i.e price is right & they are flexible with noise limits etc. A lot of the cars on the club would struggle to pass the static noise tests at most tracks.

Id be up for any venue though, its more about going to have a crack with the lads:cool:

Alex
24-08-2010, 12:56
Oulton Park? Wonderful track and plenty of camping space etc. I'm not sure if it's do-able but just a thought...... :)

Duncan Grier
24-08-2010, 14:44
Interesting options. Mallory is a great location, laid back layout etc but I do find the track a bit boring tbh and been a smaller track and not been able to drive in and out of the track is a pain at times

Never driven Donny but would love to so that is up on the list

Cadwell is a great rack but like Snetterton / Oulton park bit of a trek!

Anglesey is a good track but again out the way :(

Some of the other tracks are a bit funny with db levels :(

Somewhere with run off would be nice :D lol

Also to confirm happy to pay more for a bigger track ;)

DG

dangerous dave
24-08-2010, 20:28
I like the idea of donnington and would be willing to pay extra to secure it.
However, even Mallory failed to sell out to RTOC members so would a larger track make this worse or would the same amount of people just end up paying more???

I would love to go back to Cadwell as only done it in the old TS racer (Shed 7) and don't think the distance would put off too many people as its all about the social as previously stated.
How about a more northern track one year and a more southern the next? Share the love!

donnington sounds great but the old price make my ar5e pucker up.. like you say we didn't sell out this time and i doubt we will next time and thats alot of ££ for the fun of only a handful of members..

wheres Ian with his number crunching?

whats the deal of loss, as it always is with members taking part, members attending etc over the track and pod events.. im sure theres a happy medium of loss, taking all the info into account.. no point having a track event with 10 members on track losing 8k (i know thats not the case im just plucking numbers out the air):)

SP33DY
24-08-2010, 21:26
I'll be honest I'll attend where ever it is.

I'd also like to add that I'd quite happily pay £100+ for track time if it meant that the track was used exclusively for RTOC members and I know a few others who are also of the same frame of mind, would there be a possibility of putting a poll up to see if this is the general concenus across the board?

It could be as simple as "what would people deem an acceptable price for a full day of track time exclusively for RTOC members" and maybe have £10 pound increments. You might find that you can reduce the numbers of places out on track (as even with the bad weather at times it was like a procession) and still make a profit.

Obviously highlight that if people fail to take advantage of this amazing offer that the tickets will have to be offered to the general public as theres no reason what so ever why the club should make a loss due to lack of support from it's members.

Steve

jaffa
24-08-2010, 21:28
having a word with someone from harewood next week see if they can do such an event,if so its got to be a serious contender,its got everything that could make a really cracking national day.:)

Steve
24-08-2010, 22:17
Well i spoke to Johny from Bookatrack tonight as i was at an evening event at Donington tonight.
£16K for a SAT or SUN during July & Aug, but you need it booked well in advance.
For anyone that has done Donington before do not worry as it's back & it's better than ever:)
They have changed the last section on the national circuit, basically moved Goddards (last corner before start & finish)back towards where the Dunlop bridge was by 100 meters or so. Installed some meaty curbs.
The trade off being the run down to Redgate is longer.

jaffa
25-08-2010, 21:30
Well i spoke to Johny from Bookatrack tonight as i was at an evening event at Donington tonight.
£16K for a SAT or SUN during July & Aug, but you need it booked well in advance.
For anyone that has done Donington before do not worry as it's back & it's better than ever:)
They have changed the last section on the national circuit, basically moved Goddards (last corner before start & finish)back towards where the Dunlop bridge was by 100 meters or so. Installed some meaty curbs.
The trade off being the run down to Redgate is longer.

its not gonna happen at that kinda money and if it does then the club will lose big time and then that will be the end of it all.......:eek:

stay at mallory but just modify it a little to suit........others.........:)

Tony Walker
25-08-2010, 21:32
How many gauranteed members do we need to turn up to do donnington?

clee
25-08-2010, 21:39
its not gonna happen at that kinda money and if it does then the club will lose big time and then that will be the end of it all.......:eek:

stay at mallory but just modify it a little to suit........others.........:)

Nothing at all wrong with the current location .We just need some more bells and whistles :)

Tony Walker
25-08-2010, 21:43
Also how many members are necessary to not loose out at mallory?

jaffa
26-08-2010, 19:04
Also how many members are necessary to not loose out at mallory?

just you can come m8 its just £9500 inc bells and whistles.:agree:

J$£5GTT
26-08-2010, 20:34
mallory is ok if it does not rain,think the location is nice but the owners need to invest in some scalpings or something so as to aid cars if it gets wet,not impressed with that,not much in the way of paths or somewhere to drive onto to get it out easier.
:disagree:

dangerous dave
26-08-2010, 22:48
just you can come m8 its just £9500 inc bells and whistles.:agree:

9500 for how many people to hit the track?

i'd rather hire out a go cart track for a weekend so theres no excuse for not having a go:smokin:

Eugein Offord
26-08-2010, 23:46
Spa..... keep the Sunderland and Dartford chavvvvvs away.... IMO....:agree::agree::agree::agree:

JRP
27-08-2010, 11:20
Spa..... keep the Sunderland and Dartford chavvvvvs away.... IMO....:agree::agree::agree::agree:
:laugh::laugh: aka mart :laugh::laugh:

Mart
27-08-2010, 21:13
:laugh: :jerkoff:

:D

Miller
30-08-2010, 22:02
Update:

I now have a list of venues and so far i have contacted motor sport vision.......waiting on a return call. I am not hopeful as they said they do not do the type of events we are looking for.:disagree:

I have sent a email off to donnington and awaiting a response.

I will work my way through the list this week and hopefully have some answers for you all by Friday night.

Regards
Chris

Steve
06-09-2010, 20:58
Had any replys???:scratch:

jaffa
06-09-2010, 22:54
i spoke to chris on friday he is awaiting calls back etc off several places so no point posting till this happens i guess...till we have the full picture.:)

andyrg
15-09-2010, 21:02
why did thr RTOC stop going to CROFT???

Awsome Track is Croft and very very good facilitys

BluntyR5GTT
16-09-2010, 16:20
donington or oulton park get my vote

dave-sbs
16-09-2010, 17:34
out of interest , how many people would attend ND if it was'nt a circuit or drag based event.

The reason i ask is i have recently been to * another * car make national day ( which lasted from thursday to monday ).

This was at a based in somerset, each day we had a run out in the cars to various sight seeing locations.. cheddar gorge, fleet air arms museam and the haynes museam..

not saying we should go there, but if that sort of event would appeal to anyone- a field , beer and convoy runs etc ?

Steve
16-09-2010, 19:56
The last few Renault runs out in the country on RS have led to some serious accidents.
It's bad enough having a 100 or so egos on track let alone on public roads:eek:

5teve L
16-09-2010, 20:45
The last few Renault runs out in the country on RS have led to some serious accidents.
It's bad enough having a 100 or so egos on track let alone on public roads:eek: