PDA

View Full Version : How to stop car overfueling?

kayzee
21-08-2010, 10:58
Hi haven't driven the car in a while now unfortunately but when I bought it I was told it's overfueling slightly...

I think the time to deal with this is coming up.

Where do I start and what do I do :crap:

Brigsy
21-08-2010, 11:19
You need to start by checking the afr's on idle, part throttle & WOT/Peak boost.

benj88
21-08-2010, 12:20
Briggs knows the score!

SCHWARTZ
21-08-2010, 12:28
do you have an afr gauge? if not its a good investment will save you money in the long run and make setting up properly possible ;) fueling is adjusted by fitting/drilling the jets out to different sizes in your case making them smaller solder will do the trick with the main jet.

kayzee
21-08-2010, 14:55
You need to start by checking the afr's on idle, part throttle & WOT/Peak boost.

Damn translate.google.com isn't helping with that one :coffee:

I don't have an AFR gauge but I could do with a new boost gauge as well so might as invest in some, any you can recommend?

SCHWARTZ
21-08-2010, 15:02
lm-1 or lc-1 afr gauge (lc-1 people have had probs with but is cheaper) any boost gauge will do t it into carb base where the hose goes to the aei unit then it will also read vacuum.
read this;) http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4761

SCHWARTZ
21-08-2010, 15:03
WOT wide open throttle;)

kayzee
21-08-2010, 15:51
WOT

And I thought he was just being a chav :p

lm-1 or lc-1 afr gauge (lc-1 people have had probs with but is cheaper) any boost gauge will do t it into carb base where the hose goes to the aei unit then it will also read vacuum.
read this;) http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4761

Thanks for the link I'll have a read through that later.

As regards to the sunroof, I don't believe you don't need any tools to get it off lol... had a go and can't make sense of it so started unscrewing things. Got stuck because of damn rusty bolts, where's the WD40 when you need it!? But surely it's these that need taking off... (I just edited the pic and drew around the screws in red hopefully this is showing for you, let me know if it's not and I'll try again!)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/kzkz/R5%20GT%20Turbo/Problems/IMG_0023.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/kzkz/R5%20GT%20Turbo/Problems/IMG_0024.jpg

jonnyshaw49
21-08-2010, 16:03
check the fuel pressure regulator isnt knackered letting too much fuel to the carb,plumb an old boost guage into the fuel line between regulator and carb think it should be no more than 3 bar fuel pressure

Markey Mark (BD)
21-08-2010, 16:06
check the fuel pressure regulator isnt knackered letting too much fuel to the carb,plumb an old boost guage into the fuel line between regulator and carb think it should be no more than 3 bar fuel pressure

Between fpr and carb it will be 4psi above boost pressure, not 3 bar mate ;)

As everyone has mentioned you need to see what the afr's are like first before you start doing anything to the carb.
Do you know if the carb is standard or if it has been played with by anyone in the past?

jonnyshaw49
21-08-2010, 18:39
lol i was meant to say 3 psi lol not bar oh well 4 psi it is markey knows his stuff!!

Brigsy
21-08-2010, 18:44
Innovate lm-1 will do the job mate, if you want a permanent install there are a few decent 52mm gauge sized ones for sale. The aem one scoff sells looks pretty good.

I have an lc-1 in my van, mine works ok for now, fart about to wire it up though.

kayzee
22-08-2010, 11:12
Between fpr and carb it will be 4psi above boost pressure, not 3 bar mate ;)

As everyone has mentioned you need to see what the afr's are like first before you start doing anything to the carb.
Do you know if the carb is standard or if it has been played with by anyone in the past?

I'm afraid I have no details of that no.

Any help with pointing out where these parts I need to look at are? For someone that's spent a total of less than 20 minutes in a Renault 5 engine bay! :ashamed:

SCHWARTZ
22-08-2010, 11:47
fpr is mounted on the drivers side shock tower right at the bottom. get under the car by the drivers side wheel and look up;)