PDA

View Full Version : main things to look for when buying a 5

lammy2r5
20-08-2010, 22:18
hello chaps please can you dvice me on min things to look for when buying a five.
Fcuked up the first time , want to make sure i look right SOS ANY ADVICE:):):):)

djinuk
20-08-2010, 22:24
Personally for me the key things are the bodywork.
Rotton sills,
Rotton rear 1/4s,
rust inside the boot
rusty windscreen surround

sure people will add to it..

my advice would be to buy a decent one of a well known member on here.

J$£5GTT
20-08-2010, 23:55
if i was in the market for another then i would want to see underneath more than anything,jack it up etc....i think sills,inner wings arches etc are important but not as important as the area under boot floor all the way to where the rear torsion bar is fixed,not good if she's gone in those box sections.....major work so id check there first..
:)

5teve L
21-08-2010, 00:06
Places I look at when viewing a car are : Sills, inner wings, rear of the floor pan up by the fuel pump area both sides, inner rear arches (usually bubbles up in the boot), front jacking points.
Then look at metal brake pipes, wooly handling (usually ARB or wishbone bushes) & listen for any odd noises when driving. If the car has been looked after then the wishbones & ARB bushes may have been changed, if not factor in some ballache for the wishbones that you will have to cut off, ARB's aren't too bad, just fiddly unless you can be arsed to drop the subframe.
Engine mounts are another one that often gets overlooked as well.

Always have a GT Turbo fund as well as something will prob die/break :laugh:

SCHWARTZ
21-08-2010, 12:32
Always have a GT Turbo fund as well as something will prob die/break
:laugh::agree:

IANMM
21-08-2010, 15:39
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4795

lammy2r5
21-08-2010, 17:30
anyone have pics of these areas to look at ( rear torsion bar )or aware of any on projects and restos.
Also the car is fitted with a false floor so very difficult to check boot pan, ANY IDEAS:):):):):)