PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge issue

garya
20-08-2010, 21:14
Right set up my boost gauge from carb base and it is reading when idle vac 20 which i have been told is fine.but took it for a blast up the street and its only going to 0psi i have slightly ajusted the actuator to were i think std boost pressure is roughtly and when i put the foot down i can feel the turbo is kicking in.Any ideas why this gauge is giving me this reading.p.s also try another gauge and is saying the same thing so its not the gauge that is broken.??

SCHWARTZ
20-08-2010, 21:17
are all the pipes that go to the gauge tight? may be that when boosting the air is getting out so gauge not reading but when on vacuum pipes being sucked tight so not sucking in air :confused: if you get what i mean :laugh: thats prob just rubbish but worth a punt:D

Markey Mark (BD)
20-08-2010, 21:18
How much preload is on the actuator mate? It isn't holding the wastegate open is it?

garya
20-08-2010, 21:24
How much preload is on the actuator mate? It isn't holding the wastegate open is it?
tbh mark i dont have a clue lol how can i check this??

garya
20-08-2010, 21:27
are all the pipes that go to the gauge tight? may be that when boosting the air is getting out so gauge not reading but when on vacuum pipes being sucked tight so not sucking in air :confused: if you get what i mean :laugh: thats prob just rubbish but worth a punt:D
yeah thats what i thought at first but i have checked them like 10 times over and they seem to be tight.But the only thing i do not like about the hoses that i am using to wire the boost gauge is that there the clear silicone ones that come with the gauge and they feel abit soft dont know if that would make a diffrence tbh.

SCHWARTZ
20-08-2010, 21:28
if you take the arm off the wastegate arm is it easy to get back on or do you have to get it back on with pilers etc? adjust preload by winding the actuator rod in and out in more preload.

SCHWARTZ
20-08-2010, 21:31
i had like a 2" bit of silicone tube from carb base that went onto a little plastic tube to the boost gauge that was hold on with cable ties and that worked perfectly so dont think it really need to be too tight tbh

garya
21-08-2010, 18:58
Right tryed what mark said push the wastegate lever towards the front of the turbo and found out it made no diffrence as it was al ready closed.so i am :confused: what can i try next??

AdamC
21-08-2010, 19:43
How have you got the gauge plumbed in? any pics etc...

Brigsy
21-08-2010, 19:53
Where does the standard gauge go to on the dash? I recently seen a tim gauge tell lies & say the boost pressure was 7psi when it was clearly 15 on the original gauge.

garya
21-08-2010, 20:38
i have took the hose from the gauge then then t peiced it to carb base and bendix.

garya
21-08-2010, 20:40
Where does the standard gauge go to on the dash? I recently seen a tim gauge tell lies & say the boost pressure was 7psi when it was clearly 15 on the original gauge.
i havent wired up the std gauge as.but if i take the hose off the aftermarket gauge and plumb it into the oe one the needle goes way down past the first line

Bass J
22-08-2010, 01:52
i sorted this(at the time..seems it aint helped lol) ...i basically t-pieced it at the middle of the aei and carb..to boost guage ..if this helps :)