PDA

View Full Version : brake caliper pison

Junglist
18-08-2010, 21:21
Hi all ,
So ive been swapping my discs and pads and on the rear drivers side the piston in the caliper wont turn at all .
Is it just a case of soaking it in wd40 and smashing it to death till it moves or is there a nak to it.
Cheers - Dan

car.crash
18-08-2010, 21:29
it should push and turn, i wouldnt be hitting it. are you using the correct tool and have you taken the cap off the master cylinder? also try holding the bias valve open with a cable tie to allow the fluid back through.

Junglist
18-08-2010, 21:33
it should push and turn, i wouldnt be hitting it. are you using the correct tool and have you taken the cap off the master cylinder? also try holding the bias valve open with a cable tie to allow the fluid back through.

cap off master cylinder? resivoir ? no i didnt ill try again tomo with cap off and cable tie the bias valve also ,

Thanks

car.crash
18-08-2010, 21:36
it may not make any differance but should ease the pressure on the piston a little. have you got the correct rewind tool?

Junglist
18-08-2010, 21:39
it may not make any differance but should ease the pressure on the piston a little. have you got the correct rewind tool?

no i havnt been using a screw driver and a piece of metal , the other side piston was real easy to turn

car.crash
18-08-2010, 21:44
if it doesnt go then get the proper rewind tool.

dangerous dave
19-08-2010, 00:34
no i havnt been using a screw driver and a piece of metal , the other side piston was real easy to turn

dust seals dont stop everything and pistons get stuck on straight pushing or twisting back.. if its propper stuck i wouldn't waste my time on it as chances are it'll get jammed again and fail your mot or give you a poor rear braking %

i've popped pistons out before on the front and cleaned them out, checked the seal etc and put it together and its been fine, but not done a rear..

worth a punt as a last resort but i'd get a new caliper..

Junglist
19-08-2010, 11:28
ive managed to get it moving now , seems to be ok