PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Advice

James5
16-08-2010, 08:50
Had a bit of a scary moment on the M25 on the way back from Nat Day, when all of sudden it was pouring with rain, I attempted to brake then as I done this all my lights, wipers, radio, engine all died for a sec this only happened when I attempted to brake / slow down from 70 mph.

This looks to me as a wiring fault / short that must have been gettiong wet the car has never done anything like this before in any weather conditions:scratch: Any ideas were I should even start looking?
I am at present looking into an ally shield for the grill area to cover the starter motor (this prob didn't help matters):eek:

TrixNFlix
16-08-2010, 08:56
Maybe the 12v reg feed to the alt shorted out somewhere.

Nick k
16-08-2010, 08:59
Is your battery loose, It can short its terminal out on the edge of the inner wing and kill the car of a second or so as it does it?

Spooky
16-08-2010, 09:36
Is your battery loose, It can short its terminal out on the edge of the inner wing and kill the car of a second or so as it does it?

I had that with a loose terminal at the battery, everything died and then just came back to life!

James5
19-08-2010, 09:59
Cheers for all the advices peeps, battery and terminals are solid.

I am thinking alternator as that is unfortunatly pretty much exposed to the elements at the mo :eek: and with the weather on Saturday being a little wet. Looks like I need to source the original cowling and modify it to fit with the grill mount in place