PDA

View Full Version : is my inlet gasket leaking

djinuk
15-08-2010, 21:08
Wellm my r5 has always had a light metalic/tappet sound on low rpm, which increase with the revs, ive almost pinpointed it to being at the edge of the inlet, closest the turbo (at first i though it was the turbo). I had to degrease my engine today and gave it a wash off with some water, when i started the car up it sounded even worse, however now the engine bays dried out it back to how it was before, just what sort of problems a worm inlet gaskets usually shows. It looks look a little old/worse for ware, anything else worth doing whilst at it ?

Kris M
15-08-2010, 21:55
yes, a blowing inlet / exhaust maniflold gasket can give you a light tapping sort of noise. Make sue all the nuts are tight and fitted first :)..They have a habit of coming loose

djinuk
15-08-2010, 21:57
will give them all a once over tomorrow and see if anythings loose, may also just check the tappets before..

btw chris , was it you i came up behind 3 mins after leaving mallory , you had your hazards on following a red r5 on trailer.

Kris M
15-08-2010, 22:03
yeah that was me mate....I was towing the red 5 and it was my mate who was driving my black ph1....We stopped as he thought something had fallen off the 5 and gone underneath,...Only to discover it was a massive clump of mud falling out the wheelarch from the campsite :D:D

djinuk
15-08-2010, 22:07
ahh sweet, nice to ermm , put a car to name kinda :P.

Yea i had that problem, going to whizz my wheels off tomorrow and make sure theres no freshely tucked away mud trying to destory some renault crisp packet metal.

dangerous dave
15-08-2010, 22:09
be careful if you give it the heave ho rather than a removal, clean and replacement gasket.. i stripped the heads thread while doing one of the nuts, propper buggered it.. there hardly strong so if nipping it up doesn't work do a propper job on it or you might end doing more work.. like myself:(