View Full Version : strange transmission knock..

Slim
15-08-2010, 12:26
Hi peeps... need some ideas of what my problem could be. This is going to be difficult to describe as im not too technicle.

I have some sort of knock/shift felt mostly in pedals and a bit in steering wheel too i think. This is one knock when say for instance.. im in traffic and i get into biting point with the cluth and put load on the engine while still on the clutch if feels like something 'shifts' back then clonks.

same clonk/knock happens when im in the middle off moving off (in biting point) but if i were press the clutch down again and off the accelerator (as if i were going to stop)

sometimes it even feels as if when on the biting point (where the car would normally start to move) it doesn't but it IS on the biting point.. but the car shifts/moves only if i release the clutch slightly more than i normally do.

im not sure if this makes total sense :S but im wondering if its related to the knocking im getting while moving in some gears.

any ideas?

TrixNFlix
15-08-2010, 12:35
Sounds like the rear engine mount. Does your engine have alot of moment? Try and shake it, might even get to hear the clunking while you do it. :)

Slim
15-08-2010, 12:36
thats the thing.. i tried shaking it.. (from the carb??) and it 'seems' ok to me.. but maybe im not doing it right :laugh:

Slim
15-08-2010, 13:40
Sounds like the rear engine mount. Does your engine have alot of moment? Try and shake it, might even get to hear the clunking while you do it. :)

ok .well ive just tried to shake it as much as i can and it wont budge. The mounts were upgraded to uprated engine mounts about 2 yrs ago.

If the engine doesnt move wen i shake it.. does that mean the mounts are all good? Is there another mount like a gear box mount? or could it have anything to do with my clutch? or suspension components?

Schakal
15-08-2010, 14:30
sounds like the passenger side shaft is coming out of its mount in the diff.
have you changed any parts such as wishbone ,ball joint etc recently ?

Slim
15-08-2010, 14:54
sounds like the passenger side shaft is coming out of its mount in the diff.
have you changed any parts such as wishbone ,ball joint etc recently ?

well.. i changed the drivers side coilover spring (currently using the wrong one) and while i was doing it.. the drive shaft popped out.. but i popped it back in.. could it be that?

Slim
15-08-2010, 15:04
oh..and ive also recenlty replaced my starter moter too..

SamBam
17-08-2010, 07:19
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

How to check your motormount.

Check your mount by trying to drive away just like you do normal. But now put the emergencybrake on. When you release the clutch your motor should move inwards the car al little bit. When it moves to much your rear motormount is worn.

grt, Sam

Brigsy
17-08-2010, 11:49
Sounds like engine mounts or worn driveshafts. Check for wear in the inner & outer c/v joints.

THE MASTER
17-08-2010, 14:07
ile be at home tomoz. if you get time pop it round and ile av a butchers:coffee: