PDA

View Full Version : Winter weather

Amber5GTTurb
20-10-2008, 13:38
Ello,

As this will be my first winter with my 5, just wondered what they tend to be like with the cold weather - I see quite a few of you are lockin 'em away in the garage ready for it to warm up!

:)

Tiny Tim
20-10-2008, 13:40
Carb freeze may be an issue when it gets colder unless you're running a standard intercooler with the thermostat fully operational.

Keep it clean, dont leave road salt on for too long. Always carry de-icer and pray your interior heater and fan works.:)

Amber5GTTurb
20-10-2008, 13:48
Yep all standard engine-wise. Haha cheers!

Sy5GTT
20-10-2008, 14:21
I use mine all year. Never had any issues with the cold weather apart from it seems to go quicker. ;) All standard for me too.

BriC
20-10-2008, 14:26
Yep. A GTT that's in good working order should go fine through winter :). Depends if you want to put the bodywork through it.. More rain, more grit, etc.

stuTHC
20-10-2008, 15:05
My std phase1 is my daily drive. It has only let me down once in three years through the winter, and that was only because I had a dizzy full of water after a horrendous drive back down the M6 in gale force winds and rain after a Knockhill Trackday. I could have sorted it and still got to work but I had that Monday morning feeling, and a good excuse for not going!
Tbh I find it is more reliable in the winter months as I tend not to drive it as hard as I do through the summer, although it does pull a lot better in colder air.
As said thou, keep the salt and grit off of it, make sure you have some good anti freeze in and a coolant system (thermostat) in good order and it’ll be absolutely fine.
There’s nowt quite like driving a turbo charged car on ice and snow, wakes you up on the morning drive too work :D

mr bean aka pete
20-10-2008, 22:10
Never had a problem with mine, drive it all year round with not a problem as peeps say keep the salt/grit off and it will be happy motoring :)

5alldaway
24-10-2008, 10:37
i use mine all year round, i warm mine up until the fan kicks in then i start moving, it seems to eliminate the carb freeze issues

Amber5GTTurb
24-10-2008, 13:05
No issues with starting in the cold then? I don't normally have any problems - starts first time after a few seconds.

Cheers people! My bodywork is pretty good but I will be sure to keep it clean anyway (that could sound a little dodgy lol)!

5alldaway
24-10-2008, 18:08
mines is a bit more reluctant to start when its really cold but its all in the right footwork, some will say im probly flooding it but it starts so i aint complaining

mines a good starter in any weather :)

Gttnutter
24-10-2008, 18:36
I've never had problems runnig 5's in the winter months but as people said dont leave the crap underneith on for too long!

Starting wise, just know your throttle and you'll be fine,

i'm looking at getting a run around in the next week or so as i'm not 100% keen on running it around on our rubbish roads through the winter but thats just me :agree:

raj
24-10-2008, 18:48
with my last 5 which i fully rebuilt, it was a nightmare in the cold weather, it would always suffer with carb freeze.
i personally put it down to not having the exhaust gas return pipe fitted which would have kept the carb warmer. i also had a oe postion alloy i.c

ive got to come up with something for my current one as its more or less the same as my old one with a full rebuild but with a huge front mount cooler. i may try sticking some perspex sheet in front of the cooler but i dont think it'll help as much as the exhaust gas return pipe.

5alldaway
24-10-2008, 20:17
the oe intercooler gets my thumbs up for the winter, less chance of carb freeze

Brigsy
24-10-2008, 20:52
Ive never had any problems with a gtt in winter, always start first time.

The van starts first time even without a choke flap. Haven't even suffered with carb freeze as of yet even with an fmic, saying that i don't drive too slow;)