PDA

View Full Version : diy efi for dummies

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2010, 19:47
evening all, can any one sugest some reading on the basics of mapping my own car or give me some pointers, as in what numbers mean what on the screen for fueling and timing or is all this dependant on the ecu?

the ecu i have is an m-tec v4 ecu i got cheap of a friend, the reason i got it cheap was that its basicaly a megasquirt with all the add on on there own board and in there own case tho the mega tune software runs and changes anything i want on it

the ecu was mapped for a clio 172 on itbs but for now i want to throw it on my clio then at a later date throw a low pressure blower on it, id like to start playing now so i can have a basic grasp of what im doing and get it all running then get it checked by a pro

wiring the ecu up to the car doesnt look to hard the mapping or changing parts of the map are the bits that worry me

cheers me dears ewok

Andrew Cooke
12-08-2010, 20:04
just bolt it on a lose 20hp, simples...

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2010, 20:06
that simple, can it be that ****e?

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2010, 20:09
saying that when i unwired it from his car the wire that went to the vvt solonoid went to nowhere, the end of the wire was just taped to aload of other cables and didnt go back to the ecu, would explain there vvt makes no difference problem

Adey aka Ewok
14-08-2010, 11:22
right so i have 16x16 fuel sites and 12x12 ignition, is there a set rule for spacing the revs or will every 500 rpm do?

Andrew Cooke
15-08-2010, 16:51
personally I start with the minimum number of sites, and extra ones in the gaps if it warrants it.

And if you weren't such a slacker we could have discussed this endlessly at mallory.

Adey aka Ewok
15-08-2010, 17:30
Your only down the road I can always pop up if u miss me that much, think I can only reduce the fuel down to 12x12

Os8472
15-08-2010, 18:23
Dunno about Adaptronic and others but Emerald have a load site every 500rpm, seems to work fine on mine

Scoff
15-08-2010, 20:08
Dunno about Adaptronic and others but Emerald have a load site every 500rpm, seems to work fine on mine

16x32 for Adaptronic, 200rpm spacing with good interpolation.

Adey the map on an engine is everything, it'll make or break it so if you're determined to do it youself then make sure you put aside a good chunk of time to do it and be sure to use a dyno for the initial map, it'll help you get a feel for what the engine wants and where it wants it. Once you have that under your belt you'll be a bit more comfortable when making changes live on the road or on the track because you'll know what to expect from a particular adjustment.