View Full Version : hesitation in 3rd and 4th

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 13:57
Right, after getting my car set up earlier this year i was really miffed at POD as my car felt like it was holding back when it got into 3rd and 4th under hard acceleration. In all honesty i don't know enough to diagnose the problem myself but have been offered help by members that i will be following up.

However today i have fitted a rev limiter (thanks Jesus - yes i do drag my feet). I've taken the car out and set the limited to around 5500rpm as my max power is made at just over 5200rpm so there is no point revving it any further.

Under had acceleration now when i get in to 3rd or 4th is pops and bangs like it would when it hits the limiter but at around 3000rpm and still accelerating but hesitantly, obviously i only did this once before backing off.

My question is, could this point to some other possible failure on the car rather than the way the carb has been jetted / set up? i.e. it is the plugs need replacing, something obvious?

HELP :D

Brigsy
10-08-2010, 14:01
Check the fuel pressure matey, 4psi above boost pressure at carb top. Have you changed the fuel filter recently?

This is assuming the carb is jetted properly/afr's are good of course.

Spooky
10-08-2010, 14:11
Need to check that carb jetting as I remember our convo about it on the Pod day :)

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 17:35
Check the fuel pressure matey

How do i do that?

Have you changed the fuel filter recently?

Where is that? Under the car next to the pump?

This is assuming the carb is jetted properly/afr's are good of course.

I'd hope so, but from speaking to spooky and in depth with Kris M i'm guessing not!

dangerous dave
10-08-2010, 17:45
How do i do that?

Where is that? Under the car next to the pump?

I'd hope so, but from speaking to spooky and in depth with Kris M i'm guessing not!

you can plumb in a boost guage to it for a pikey check, thats what i was told once and it worked, i was seeing 12 psi of fuel when i wanted 4psi at the carb.. found the problem and it was sorted..

filters under the car near the pump, easy to swap.. cleaning the pick up in the tanks another idea, thats under the rear seat..

if you fuelings off and your running more than 14psi i'd be worried.. get a lambda boss in your downpipe and strap on a lm1 or 2.. the lc1's are proving to be utter sh1te so stay away, ask scoff about the aem lamba guages if you want to buy one..

half a bog roll stuck to your dash with a piece of paper stuck over the hole with 20afr written on it would be more usefull than most lc1's..

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 17:52
Thanks for the advise, will get a new fuel filter tomorrow and fit it. However don't have a spare boost guage to check the pressure :(

I'm running 18psi, the annoying thing is i've paid good money to have it set up and run how it should and this is obviously not the case.

Might run back down there tomorrow in fact and have a word :mad:

dangerous dave
10-08-2010, 17:55
Thanks for the advise, will get a new fuel filter tomorrow and fit it. However don't have a spare boost guage to check the pressure :(

I'm running 18psi, the annoying thing is i've paid good money to have it set up and run how it should and this is obviously not the case.

who did it and how? lambda or guess work?

Spooky
10-08-2010, 18:43

And make sure you see the lambda/afr readings!

philg
10-08-2010, 18:52
It was not long ago you had it looked at, i would have a drive down and see them to.

phil

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 21:56
All the paperwork and info when i had it set up is below, it means nothing to me apart from the one which shows bhp / rpm

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P4200435.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P4200439.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P4200438.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P4200436.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/P4200437.jpg

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 21:58
At least now i've checked my paperwork ill raise the limiter to 6000rpm. peak is at 5800rpm not 5200rpm

Adam L
10-08-2010, 22:07
I would have suggested that, as depending on the rev limiter, it can be a hard cut or soft cut. The soft cut kicking in 500rpm before the actual set limit.

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 22:21
I would have suggested that, as depending on the rev limiter, it can be a hard cut or soft cut. The soft cut kicking in 500rpm before the actual set limit.

It's the armtech single coil. Seams to cut in hard. Will be raising it, god knows why i thought my max bhp was at 5200rpm, think i'm half a sleep

Rob@Backyardracing
10-08-2010, 23:05
Firstly id check fuel pressure as said. Then id be checking to see if your emptying the float? unsure what needle you have in??? The miss fire around 3k, as its coming up to peak torq, could well be ign related, id check the grade of plug you run, or close the plug gap down a tad..

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 23:14
Firstly id check fuel pressure as said. Then id be checking to see if your emptying the float? unsure what needle you have in??? The miss fire around 3k, as its coming up to peak torq, could well be ign related, id check the grade of plug you run, or close the plug gap down a tad..

How do i know / check the float chamber is emptying?

Also how do i close the plug gap? do you mean the gap on the tip of the plug?

J8TRO
10-08-2010, 23:17
http://www.infovisual.info/05/img_en/012%20Automobile%20spark%20plug.jpg (http://www.infovisual.info/05/img_en/012%20Automobile%20spark%20plug.jpg)

Spooky
10-08-2010, 23:57
Pull a plug out and see what youve got in there first.

Either use a campus n3g or b8evx plug from memory :crap: :p

Smokey
11-08-2010, 08:17
Im getting a similar thing happening in first and second at about 1500rpm on gentle acceleration although not so vigerously but you can still feel it, would mine be the same diagnosis.

James I have text you but if you didnt get it would you be able to make that two fuel filters and ill sort you out saturday and hopefully i can get it fitted before we leave saturday. When you fitting yours.

Thanks Mat

IANMM
11-08-2010, 08:45
Im getting a similar thing happening in first and second at about 1500rpm on gentle acceleration although not so vigerously but you can still feel it, would mine be the same diagnosis.

James I have text you but if you didnt get it would you be able to make that two fuel filters and ill sort you out saturday and hopefully i can get it fitted before we leave saturday. When you fitting yours.

Thanks Mat

who drives a 5 at 1500 rpm.....grow some balls lol

IANMM
11-08-2010, 08:46

Might run back down there tomorrow in fact and have a word :mad:[/quote]

thats why you should have dropped it down to me :)

Matt Cole
11-08-2010, 13:23
The print out of the power run is the worst i've ever seen!! Even braske dynos are graphically better than that!!:eek:

Mart
11-08-2010, 13:24
Hi-Tech Motorsport.

Lo-Tech Equipment.

Smokey
11-08-2010, 13:30
who drives a 5 at 1500 rpm.....grow some balls lol

I do.lol, its vary rare I give my car total beans, the last time being Santa Pod really. :scared:

No dout itll be getting some saturday, but id like to get this fuel filter fitted firtst ive got the day off friday but i duno what im doing. Any offers, wink wink :p once im showed i can do it myself.

Mat

J8TRO
11-08-2010, 14:20
Right, went to pirtec this morning and got a new oil feed made up as mine was FUBAR, fitted that and took it for a drive out, exactly the same stretch of road and the thing pulled like a train, no holding back nothing...........:confused:

Since been back and fitted my new fuel filter anyhow and checked all plugs which are fine..........

I wont be taking it back to low-tech.

However will welcome people picking fault at ND.......don't be shy

Oh and Matt, you can fit your own filter, i managed to cover myself in petrol! however 10 minute job max

2 x mole grips, a M10 socket and a flat head screwdriver...........DONE

J8TRO
11-08-2010, 14:23
Still would like to know how i check the float is emptying?

IANMM
11-08-2010, 15:28
AFR meter is only way really......

have you checked for leaks....ie spray carb cleaner over boost hose etc when reving it and see if it picks up anywhere????

Smokey
11-08-2010, 19:02
Well James my good friend Ianm, i duno if you know him has kindly said he would help me.lol :confused:.

So i take it that it was the right one as I know GSF can be crap, ill be going to pick mine up tommorrow and ive got a weird feeling that their gona say it hasnt come in or some other crap excuse.

Mat

J8TRO
11-08-2010, 23:15
Ian should tell you to grow some balls and get your hands dirty like he did about you only driving at 1500rpm!

Doing is the best way to learn. Its not gonna blow up! did you not buy a Haynes manual, Its a 1 spanner rating for god sake! spanner being the key word! :p

Smokey
12-08-2010, 08:08
ok ok, its just I like to learn by watching first but ill see when i pick the part up later, You know this better than anyone else you've taught me a thing or two and now I can and have done them by myself.

yes i do have a Haynes and the day off friday so ill try do it myself now ive been victimised into doin it.:cooter:

J8TRO
12-08-2010, 10:45
Mu ha ha ha my bulling worked.........you'll have balls one day son!