PDA

View Full Version : Hubs knackered?

BriC
09-08-2010, 11:19
Hi,

I previously had some temporary wheels fitted without spigot rings to my GT Turbo, and they came loose (something I've had on one of my previous cars). So I fitted my other wheels with spiggot rings and had the problem on the passenger side wheel again. I was a bit suprised as everything was fitted as should be. It was only on the passenger side, so I tightened it up and thought maybe I didn't tighten the bolts after lowering it back onto the ground. This was a couple of months back, and it didn't happen again since, until this weekend.

I took the wheels off to fit my new coilovers. All went well (except I couldn't lower the torsion bar), and afterwards I took it for a spin, when my passenger side wheel came loose again! I got it back, thinking maybe I'd forgot to fit the spigot ring, but it was in place. I looked at the thread in the hubs and they were shiny, which to me said they were potentially worn, so I placed all 4 bolts in the threads and just tightened them in a bit by hand (with the wheel off), and there was a fair bit of wobble in them - I would have thought they should be fairly solid?

Does it sound like a knackered hub is my issue?

Just before ND too :'(

BriC
09-08-2010, 11:24
Also - bit of a long shot, but would I dont suppose a mk3 Clio 1.2 16v hub would be the same would it?

THE MASTER
09-08-2010, 12:32
you might have incorect wheel bolts

BriC
09-08-2010, 13:01
They seem to be ok in the drivers side and both rear hubs!

Brigsy
09-08-2010, 13:40
Are the bolts long enough & are you tightening them up properly? daft question i know but unless the threads are totally shot they should be OK.

BriC
09-08-2010, 13:47
Maybe I should try torquing them properly. I have just been using an oe style wheel brace. Just find it odd how it's been the same wheel twice.

royz
09-08-2010, 21:02
have you got a thread size gauge to check the threds if not let us knw and ill drop mine off for you.