PDA

View Full Version : For sale template/moderator

RoboEK
08-08-2010, 00:45
The one thing that has really buged me since iv been back on RTOC is the poor atempt of for sale/wanted threads it seems that every other one will be "Make me an offer" or "Wanted spoiler" and as a result you get people arguing over what somting is worth or how valuble/rare it is or isnt which just clogs up somwans attemt to sell there stuff.
What i prerpose is a template which we used to use on a Civic forum i used to be on hers a copy and paste:

1) The For Sale advert should adhere to the set template in each section.

2) The item(s) for sale must be in your possession. Selling on behalf of a friend or relative is strictly prohibited.

3) No pictures will render an advert null and void. And, as such, will result in the thread being removed.

4) No thread crapping.

5) No excessive bumping. Any threads deemed to have been bumped inappropriately will result in them being deleted.

6) Feedback ought to be left and a PM sent to a Moderator to have the thread moved to the 'Sold Items' section.

7) You MUST state a price, any items listed without one will be removed.

Parts For Sale Template - You are required to use this for every advert and MUST include a price. OR, offers can be made via PM to the seller if need be.

Copy, paste and fill in - Simples!

Item for sale:

Price:

Condition:

Description:

Pictures:

If all the instructions wernt followed then there would be a PM to the auther telling them to ammend it or it will be deleted. this seems a fair way to do it to me as every one will know what is for sale and howmuch they want for it.
Any thoughts?

Alastair
08-08-2010, 08:58
:agree:

Agree - I hate £offers :mad: - it means nothing just be straight and put a price up. If you are open to negotiation then say so! If there is likely to be a lot of interest say offers over £xxx, so you get a minimum expected offer.

clee
08-08-2010, 11:11
Yes.
Totally agree ,it's something we need to look at . Price or it'll be removed . Also pics for certain stuff should be compulsory . Also remove " just sounding out the water " type stuff :mad:
Something along these lines .....
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pfsw&action=display&thread=81566

The new Bill J
08-08-2010, 11:15
We could solve all the problems, by banning raider_gtt from the Classifieds :coffee:

Ashy
08-08-2010, 11:16
Agreed, it works well on Cliosport, rules are you put your post up with the description and price in the title field you the write your advert and include pics. Then once posted you have to lock your thread to stop any of the daft comments or bumping.

If you dont follow the rules threads are deleted.

D4WNO
08-08-2010, 14:06
I've brought the exact same thing up before a few times now, even did a script etc and it doesn't seem to have happened. It works everywhere else but for some reason or aother I was told it won't work on RTOC, which I think is balls

clee
08-08-2010, 15:36
It is balls ,we just need to have some and do it .
Seems members want it and we already have 3 CM votes in favor so crack on .I can keep an eye on it when I'm not under a car .

Ian S
08-08-2010, 18:25
even dis a script etc and it doesn't seem to have happened. for some reason it won't work on RTOC

A script? For vB? Or a PHP applet?

Scoff has customised many of the vB files and can't just add stuff.

There's a fairly good Classifieds component in the old site.

If someone can find a decent programmer who can convert, and also improve, that from ASP to work as a component of this site in PHP then that would be good.

Scoff is not going to have time for any more work on this site for many months. He's said so and I've asked many times if anyone can find us a good programmer.

I made an enquiry last week and the company charge £400 a day I think it was. Too much for us.

Ian S
08-08-2010, 18:31
It is balls ,we just need to have some and do it .
Seems members want it and we already have 3 CM votes in favor so crack on .I can keep an eye on it when I'm not under a car .
It's not about lack of testosterone but about lack of time.

Adding a few more rules is pretty easy really, but then moderating classifieds takes time.

There nothing stopping someone / people moderating them now is there?

I believe the idea 2 years ago was to craft a classifieds section and the vB threads use was just temporary.

Just to be clear, what is it exactly that is to be cracked on with? Add some rules? Ask for moderators to volunteer?

Ian S
08-08-2010, 18:44
Then once posted you have to lock your thread to stop any of the daft comments or bumping.
We decided to not lock each advert thread specifically so people COULD ask questions and chat about the item for sale.

This kept this in classifieds and off the boards, where thread after thread previously appeared.

Ian S
08-08-2010, 18:46
• Put the description and price in the title field.

• Pictures for certain items are compulsory.Non standard parts, turbos, shiny and cosmetic parts.

• Seller ...put the ad up in the correct manner
• Buyer ...do your homework and check all is well before you purchase
• RTOC ...offer this service and moderate ads

• Please list the following for your advert:

Item for sale

Price

Condition

Description

Pictures

andyrg
08-08-2010, 18:46
If some one can pm me there email address ill get a friend who is a programmer for BT IT ( top of the buch there )and runs his own web desgin etc Hell do it for us at a good rate

Andy

Ian S
08-08-2010, 18:50
Is that British Telecom?

Does he know vBulletin / PHP / MySQL / ASP / MSSQL?

clee
08-08-2010, 18:54
I will moderate it and so could Dawn I suspect as we both spend a lot of time online with our jobs .
It doesn't need any script etc just someone to jump on it now and then and we'll soon get the message across .
Pics for certain stuff ? Bits that may not fit , turbos ,bling ,cosmetic parts etc .But at the end of the day it's not the clubs responsibility .Buyer beware etc and we already have procedures in place for serial offenders .
Crack on as in do it now .We don't need to post any rules ,it's a common sense thing and if someone posts a bad ad it gets binned and they are informed .

dangerous dave
08-08-2010, 19:14
im bored of ads with no idea where they are, what they look like and where i have to bid in pms..

even if i really want the item they can get f**ked, its not ebay..

no need for writing codes for the site, give me a log in and i'll delete those ads with a smile on my face.. i'd like a pop up after saying Dave just Classif*cked you..:agree:

clee
08-08-2010, 19:23
Yes , Ebay is to blame for a lot of this bollocks buying and selling but then they are running a business .We as a club offer this as a service to our members for free .

Seller ...put the ad up in the correct manner
Buyer ...do your homework and check all is well before you purchase
RTOC ....offer this service and moderate ads .

Ian S
08-08-2010, 19:40
6) Feedback ought to be left and a PM sent to a Moderator to have the thread moved to the 'Sold Items' section.As far as rules go, look at the one I placed in 'Cars' in Aug 2008:

Sticky at the top: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=21 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=21)

Did anyone take any notice? 7 pages of past adds says they didn't :crap:

clee
08-08-2010, 19:49
I know what you mean Ian which is why I say further rules are not required .
How about we delete all except page one :agree: On both cars and parts :)
What harm can it do ? Those bothered will just remember that they've not sold something and re list in the proper manner :smokin:

car.crash
08-08-2010, 19:53
"breaking r5 loads of bits pm me with what you need"

those adverts with no pics, prices or even what they have make my piss boil and they could say yes to every pm that comes in and offer the imaginary bits at silly prices only to dissapear with everyones money.

jamie_8
08-08-2010, 19:54
im bored of ads with no idea where they are, what they look like and where i have to bid in pms..

even if i really want the item they can get f**ked, its not ebay..

no need for writing codes for the site, give me a log in and i'll delete those ads with a smile on my face.. i'd like a pop up after saying Dave just Classif*cked you..:agree:

Dave would actually take pleasure in this, he'd come home from work, log on and delete anyone who bothered to waste his time...raider gtt wouldn't stand a chance

Dogs@*t Dave for classifieds moderator :agree::laugh:

Ian S
08-08-2010, 19:54
Yes I agree.

Maybe more than page one though. I've no idea how far back 'active' ads go.

There may be some a few pages back that are lost behind more recent sold items.

There are 34 pages of past adds in the parts section.

Maybe we could delete everything after page 10 to start with?

But that won't really help the problem of older adds that are still going.

Maybe we can do a short mass emial or pm to let members know that were going to cull the past ads and to keep a copy or let know.

car.crash
08-08-2010, 19:56
no point leaving the first 10 pages as people will log on and see those ads that are old and they will get bumped. clean sheet, wipe the lot imo.

Ian S
08-08-2010, 19:57
"breaking r5 loads of bits pm me with what you need"

those adverts with no pics, prices or even what they have make my piss boil and they could say yes to every pm that comes in and offer the imaginary bits at silly prices only to dissapear with everyones money.

Yeah, that should be from Traders only or a member with our permission.

clee
08-08-2010, 19:59
If it's over a month old then it gets binned ? That seems about right to me .If I've still got the bit of shi...classic car part.. after that then I assume it's not going to sell or I've got the price wrong ;)

Ian S
08-08-2010, 20:21
That seems fair as on this site the seller CAN keep a complete copy.

I advertised wheels on the old site for months and they never sold. It p1ssed me right off that I had to compose the complicated ad page repeatedly as that auto deleted after one month.

Here it's just a simply copy / paste / submit.

Ian S
08-08-2010, 20:22
I added a new sticky to the parts forum and same in the cars.

So no-one can now say they were unaware.

Alastair
08-08-2010, 21:05
I added a new sticky to the parts forum and same in the cars.

So no-one can now say they were unaware.

Ian, :agree:.

If you need another cr@p advert 'deleter' let me know, happy to do it!

clee
08-08-2010, 22:21
Good stuff :agree:

Mart
08-08-2010, 22:54
Please don't delete my 'Whitey for sale' advert - I'm having enough trouble selling it as it is! :cry: :D

Ian S
09-08-2010, 00:22
Mart, as a Moderator are you able to edit / delete classifieds?

I've been having a root around the admin and can't find the bit that says if the Moderators user group can of or not.

Thanks.

Ian S
09-08-2010, 00:26
You all may have received the mass email I did and there is, for the next week, an announcement at the classifieds forum to further bring this to users attention.

Mart
09-08-2010, 07:32
Ian, I can edit/delete the Classifieds, and have been doing so over the years (duplicate threads, slanging matches, etc).

Scoff-test
09-08-2010, 14:26
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

OK thanks.

Your user group has site wide moderating permissions that don't need to be specifically set for you but, it seems, also can't be reduced by or to specific forums.

I think I've found the way to set up forum specific moderators so Alistair and Dave can, if they want to, be moderators of the Classifieds.

BTW, it's Ian S here, I'm testing now with this Scoff-test log in which is currently set as a normal paid member.

dangerous dave
09-08-2010, 16:44
im happy to do it, i dont work in an office so after 4pm weekdays, but the boards are pretty quiet anyway..:)

changed a few titles to meet the format, i guess were leaving the threads from the last week or so rather than deleted them on people.. they can edit them?

if someone wants me deleting threads from old or new just say and i'll crack on, i dont think i can delete anything at the mo but im game:)

D4WNO
09-08-2010, 18:24
Nice work Dave, I see you've been busy :D

Ian S
09-08-2010, 19:00
Yes all sorted, Dave and Alastair are now Moderators for Classifieds.

Thanks for helping out :agree: :)

We'll be leaving the past ads for a week so people can get the message and take a copy if they want to.

Recent and new ads will be moderated and this has already started.

Ian S
09-08-2010, 19:07
It's been suggested a couple of times that we delete the new ads after a fixed period of time, say a week or a month.

It can take time to sell some parts from 20 years old cars to a niche market.

I think what's instead needed is to remove the non active ads so people can easily see what still for sale.

Members need to co-operate and remove them themselves once the items have sold.

dangerous dave
20-08-2010, 21:27
when do you guys want threads deleted as its been a few weeks.. if anyone wanted to keep an add from they had a chance.. it shouldn't take 5 minutes to clear 20 pages or so of old threads..

just say and it'll be done:)

D4WNO
20-08-2010, 21:29
I don't see any issues with getting rid, Dave. It's been on here, in the classifieds twice and an email was also sent out, so everyone should be aware of the new rules :)

Mart
20-08-2010, 21:39
Which itchy trigger finger mod' deleted my 'Whitey for sale' advert/thread then?

car.crash
20-08-2010, 21:41
it was dave, he is actually bragging about it and calling himself hitler classi**** :laugh:

Mart
20-08-2010, 21:42
Cheers Dave :rolleyes:

car.crash
20-08-2010, 21:44
sorry mart i was only kidding :p

dangerous dave
20-08-2010, 21:53
marc you little gimp, it wasn't me.. im pretty sure you could delete it yourself if you wanted to i didn't bother.. been holding back on the delete button:)

not for long tho:D

Mart
20-08-2010, 21:59
Well whoever deleted it could've PM'd me before letting the power go to their head...or fingertips :rolleyes:

Long shot, but if anyone did have that thread saved, could they PM/email it to Jimmy please.

Adam L
20-08-2010, 23:11
Wasn't me either I'm afraid, so unsure who it was hun

Adam L
20-08-2010, 23:12
That was me (Dawn). The little fecker that is Adam logged me out when I wasn't looking :rolleyes:

car.crash
20-08-2010, 23:13

:laugh: nice one dawn.

Adam L
20-08-2010, 23:15
:laugh: nice one dawn.

I made him look slightly gay didn't I? :laugh:

J8TRO
20-08-2010, 23:17

Hun? Adam I though you only had eyes for Dawn?

Mart you home wrecker!

JRP
21-08-2010, 12:41
:laugh:
it was dave, he is actually bragging about it and calling himself hitler classi**** :laugh:

dangerous dave
24-08-2010, 23:16
whats the deal with really pointless items being sold on rtoc, honestly is like people look around there house, see some clutter and add it to an advert on here..

i have a wash basket here, an empty iron brew bottle and plastic bag from next...

offers

rs250nut
24-08-2010, 23:22
I'll take the washing basket

JRP
24-08-2010, 23:28
whats the deal with really pointless items being sold on rtoc, honestly is like people look around there house, see some clutter and add it to an advert on here..

i have a wash basket here, an empty iron brew bottle and plastic bag from next...

offers

Yeah and more and more with your posts your beginging to sound like Adolf

dangerous dave
24-08-2010, 23:44
Yeah and more and more with your posts your beginging to sound like Adolf

aids..

JRP
24-08-2010, 23:45
aids..

Yeah on your little finger:cooter: