PDA

View Full Version : whats up with my engine? turnin the crank and nothing up top

gttjames
05-08-2010, 21:22
Thought id make a new thread as the situation has changed now.

Car started knocking/tapping on idle (sounded just like a old 1.0/1.1 fiesta) but the noise would go when revved above 1.5k

Then when i was coasting for a speed bump it just coughed and stopped. And then when trying to turn it over sounded different, almost like the engine was turnin to easy.

Now i have the cam chain cover off and that all looks ok, and i have the rocker cover off. Turnin the engine over by the crank and there is absolutley nothing moving atall up top, none of the springs compressing and none of the tappets moving

Markey Mark (BD)
05-08-2010, 21:29
Take the top pulley off the cam mate, check the keyway is still there and not broken off.
I've seen it a few times.

allanr5gtt
05-08-2010, 21:30
when cranking what is the cam chain doing?

scott 5gtt
05-08-2010, 21:35
So when your turning the crank does the timing chane move if so that shoud be driving the cam and that should be moving the pushrods up and down and spinning the dizzy so if the chane is rorating but the pushrods arent moving either the cam pulley is just spinning on the cam or the cam has snapped or the loabs on the cam have disintegrated mate. .

Kris M
05-08-2010, 21:37
Id more likely go with Marks theory

gttjames
05-08-2010, 22:57
When turning it over the cam chain is turning as it should and is turning the crank and the chain is turning the camshaft pulley.

So the pulley on the end of the camshaft unbolts? Take this off and see what i can see?

cheers

SCHWARTZ
06-08-2010, 16:14
take the cam pulley off and check the little pin hasnt snaped off like marky said.

markey b
06-08-2010, 17:21
u got issues fella? if you need me to pop over one eve for a look let me know :confused:

gttjames
08-08-2010, 18:41
u got issues fella? if you need me to pop over one eve for a look let me know :confused:

yer mate, first couple of years with the 5 where good. Not recently though lol

If you can mate would be a big help?

gttjames
21-12-2011, 16:47
finally got round to puuling the engine again. And your right the pulley bolt for the camshaft has come loose and the camshaft pulley has slipped off. The locating lug is still there but a little chewed as expected, will this be ok? Can post a pic later

JohnAldridge101
21-12-2011, 16:53
best to get a new one as it will have less cause to fail any time soon

gttjames
21-12-2011, 20:58
Heres a pic. Yer am going to get a new sprocket, anyone got one i can buy so i dont have to pay cgb's postage prices...?

Since i was costing towards a speed bump when it cut it, what are the chances of damage elsewhere. Can i just fit the new sprocket, time it up and hopefully everything be ok?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/r5volvo009.jpg

James5
21-12-2011, 21:47
Heres a pic. Yer am going to get a new sprocket, anyone got one i can buy so i dont have to pay cgb's postage prices...?

Since i was costing towards a speed bump when it cut it, what are the chances of damage elsewhere. Can i just fit the new sprocket, time it up and hopefully everything be ok?

Fingers crossed no valve contact for you matey

lee1707
21-12-2011, 22:50
I have a piper vernier if interested £45 posted and it's yours, just sitting on a shelf doing nothing