PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure gauge, bar or psi

tiff_lee
05-08-2010, 11:34
Looking at getting an oil pressure gauge and was just wondering what everyone's preference is with regards to units of measurement.

Bar or psi? I realise 1 bar = 14.5*** psi and as such the scale for psi would be larger but as I said just curious as to everyone else preference.

Also just so I can put the scales into perspective what should the oil pressure be on a healthy engine? I'm not sure if it would vary a great amount from engine to engine but if I had to be specific then i'll say a GTT.

Brigsy
05-08-2010, 11:48
I prefer the gauges that read in psi myself & go for a mechanical gauge as more accurate than electric.

Oil pressure on a good c1j when hot should be 15-25psi idle, at 3k rpm 45psi.

James5
05-08-2010, 11:51
Looking at getting an oil pressure gauge and was just wondering what everyone's preference is with regards to units of measurement.

Bar or psi? I realise 1 bar = 14.5*** psi and as such the scale for psi would be larger but as I said just curious as to everyone else preference.

Also just so I can put the scales into perspective what should the oil pressure be on a healthy engine? I'm not sure if it would vary a great amount from engine to engine but if I had to be specific then i'll say a GTT.

I prefer the psi mechanical gauges I use a Mocal gauge from www.thinkauto.com (http://www.thinkauto.com)

With ref to oil pressure

Cold engine idle
you will see anywhere from 40-60psi (dependant on oil viscosity) it will also do this until engine temp is upto required level.

Once warm on idle you should see
10-25psi (dependant on oil viscosity)

Warm driving over 3000 rpm you want to see at least 40psi to be honest it should increase as the engine speed increases. I see a max of 55psi on full boost at high rpms

James5
05-08-2010, 11:52
I prefer the psi mechanical gauges I use a Mocal gauge from www.thinkauto.com (http://www.thinkauto.com)

With ref to oil pressure

Cold engine idle
you will see anywhere from 40-60psi (dependant on oil viscosity) it will also do this until engine temp is upto required level.

Once warm on idle you should see
10-25psi (dependant on oil viscosity)

Warm driving over 3000 rpm you want to see at least 40psi to be honest it should increase as the engine speed increases. I see a max of 55psi on full boost at high rpms

:ashamed:Brigsy bit me to it I should have refreshed my screen quicker

car.crash
05-08-2010, 12:50
Psi for me.

tiff_lee
05-08-2010, 13:07
Yeah i'm definitely seeing a psi trend here. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Andrew Cooke
05-08-2010, 14:01
French cars only work in metric, I'm surprised you psi guys haven't blown the floors out of your cars:scared:

clee
05-08-2010, 14:03
pascals sans inch innit