PDA

View Full Version : oh the joys !!

mike r5 gtt
05-08-2010, 00:17
iv been looking for a new gtt project for a while seeing as one of mine isnt road legal and the other is a little to pimped for everyday use!:cool:
so after a while of hunting around i found a clean looking 5 within my budget.so i arranged a viewing for the weekend.
all looked ok so we argeed on a price and away i go :D
i think i made it about two junctions when the temp gauge goes up so i stop straight away and find the hose from the rad to the waterpump has split :eek::cry::cry:
so i let it cool down and manage to bodge a sleeve into the pipe using a bit of coke bottle and a hose clip/cable ties!
off i go again but about one junction later the temp starts creeping up so i stop to check and find the bleed valve on the top hose is loose and spitting coolant everywhere, so i tighten it and all is good for afew junctions until the temp gauge rises AGAIN and i have steam so i stop and find that whatever had been wedged into the aftermarket coolant bottle cap has popped out and is going nuts :eek::cry::mad:

so game over and i ring the AA.
three AA trucks and one police car later i have turned a 2hour drive into around a 6hour nightmare and the angryst girlfriend i have ever seen

so now its parked up at my dads house while i wait for some new hoses and a bottle to turn up so i can get it to work and make a start on it.
il try and get some pics uploaded at the weekend

oh the joys of owning a gtt!!!:wasntme:

Big Steve - Raider
05-08-2010, 06:51
:laugh::laugh::laugh: And we wonder why we love these cars?!

Glad everything turned out well in the end. And I hope your Mrs's has calmed down to just under critical nuclear mass! :wasntme:

Thundercat
05-08-2010, 23:12
Yep know that r5 feeling, bought a red 5 from down east croydon a couple of months ago, should of walked away from it but commited to buying it. Broke down on M11 after reserve tank decided it didn't want to be on car and was dangling nearly on floor with all the fuel in it. Poor carb was so dry! lol RAC saved the day thankfully. Hopefully back on road this weekend after plenty of welding and TLC.

5alldaway
06-08-2010, 02:23
just gotta love the 5s, but after selling mine i dont really miss owning one as its just i could never catch up with what needed doing to it

altho i do keep an eye out on ebay most of the time lol :)