PDA

View Full Version : Fix one problem, another occurs! Patience running thin now!

5GTTurbo
04-08-2010, 14:15
Well here goes...

I have had a good read through previous posts but just want opinions.

Having had the carb serviced and sorting some of the breather pipes (a big thanks to a fellow member on here) a mis-fire then cropped up.

After identifying that problem was with the 3rd spark plug, cleaning and swapping it over the idle is now perfect BUT smoke now billows out of the exhaust :mad: so much so that it has nosey old biddies coming out of the nearby flats to have a look!

There was a bit of sludge at the top of the swirl pot that i cleaned out and will now put a breather filter on but there is no signs of sludge under the filler cap, the water in the header tank is clear and im just hoping its now not the turbo shot or the headgasket gone :dearme:

I've read that it could be a build up of condensation but how long would it take if so to clear? Its more a whitey smoke with just a tint of blue huy

I cant drive the car as its SORN with no MOT so could just move it a bit in the private land that its on.

Any advice/info would be appriciated :agree:

James5
04-08-2010, 14:32
Well here goes...

I have had a good read through previous posts but just want opinions.

Having had the carb serviced and sorting some of the breather pipes (a big thanks to a fellow member on here) a mis-fire then cropped up.

After identifying that problem was with the 3rd spark plug, cleaning and swapping it over the idle is now perfect BUT smoke now billows out of the exhaust :mad: so much so that it has nosey old biddies coming out of the nearby flats to have a look!

There was a bit of sludge at the top of the swirl pot that i cleaned out and will now put a breather filter on but there is no signs of sludge under the filler cap, the water in the header tank is clear and im just hoping its now not the turbo shot or the headgasket gone :dearme:

I've read that it could be a build up of condensation but how long would it take if so to clear? Its more a whitey smoke with just a tint of blue huy

I cant drive the car as its SORN with no MOT so could just move it a bit in the private land that its on.

Any advice/info would be appriciated :agree:

If it's white smoke it's water and blue is oil, and if the car is SORN i assume been of the road for sometime it will take a good ole longish drive to clear up, i would personally say condensation and maybe the blue smoke is just a build up of crap in the exhaust

Brigsy
04-08-2010, 14:55
Are the breather pipes plumbed in correctly? if they are blocked somehow it will smoke.

Markey Mark (BD)
04-08-2010, 15:07
How long has the car been off the road? Could be built up crap in the engine burning off.
As Brigsy says also give breathers a check and clean too.

Also have a smell of the smoke, see if you can tell what it smells like mate.

James white smoke doesn't normally mean water, my turbo has just packed up burning tons of oil and its puffing out white/grey smoke.

5GTTurbo
04-08-2010, 20:10
How long has the car been off the road? Could be built up crap in the engine burning off.

Cheers, i'll have a check of the breather pipes aswell.

The car has been off the road 3 months exactly today as it goes, when its MOT ran out.

I was reading through some old posts and found one guy explaining it smelt a bit like cooking bacon and i can kinda identify with that as when i park it back in the lock-up, the build up of smoke develops and kinda resembles that smell.

Today it didn't smoke a lot when first started but once i let it warm up and gave it a good few rev's with the temperature gauge at 1/2 then it started to really bellow smoke again

Tony Walker
04-08-2010, 22:06
Difficult to say without seeing. But white is water(not necessarily headgasket, usually condensation espeacially if its been sat around). bluey grey is oil and black/sooty is fuel.

5GTTurbo
06-08-2010, 18:18
Ok im starting to be more convinced that it is the turbo that's shot as the smoke is now more a blue colour and i can say that is does kinda smell of burning oil.

However, now it only starts to smoke once the car is up to temp, at about 1/2 way up the gauge, and then it'll smoke on idle and increase once it's throttled so will look in to getting the turbo re-con'd

dave j gtt
06-08-2010, 21:51

James white smoke doesn't normally mean water, my turbo has just packed up burning tons of oil and its puffing out white/grey smoke.

Steam will tend to rise and oil / turbo smoking tends to lingers with it being heavier and it stinks. Or at least so i think,

does my theory make sence :scratch:

dave j gtt
06-08-2010, 21:55
sounds like turbos fecked but hey i dont know without seeing.... you could take the turbo elbow of to inspect for cracks and lots of oil leaking :crap:

5GTTurbo
08-08-2010, 13:09
you could take the turbo elbow of to inspect for cracks and lots of oil leaking :crap:

:agree: i will do + there was some oily build-up in the hose between the turbo and intercooler the last time i had it off

Cheers for the advice