PDA

View Full Version : Problem's, Related?

Sol
04-08-2010, 09:50
Hey guys,

Have had in the past an issue with my car smoking on idle, and when boosting.
Engine pressure etc all fine at this time and other than this smoking the car seemed to be running well.

However,
to rememdy the smoking I have put on a second hand turbo from CGB (tested), still had all the brass fittings on it perfect etc, looked like a cracking turbo with no play in the wheel. I have also added an external oil cooler with braided hoses etc to the engine and a new full alloy rad/

Everything seemed ok at this point with the new(er) turbo and the smoking disappeared, however the oil pressure has gone from being at the '2' mark on the dash to sitting at '5' constantly, and last night and today the car seems to be smoking again but not at idle, purely seems to be when im boosting?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Luke :)

raj
04-08-2010, 09:53
just a quick one, have you checked your breather system+restrictors etc?

JRP
04-08-2010, 09:54
Well more oil pressure is never a bad thing, unless there is a blockage or restriction... smoking could be down to oil in your exhaust and its burning off... thats just my opinion i like to start with the easy fixes and less worrying scenarios:cool:

Sol
04-08-2010, 10:05
just a quick one, have you checked your breather system+restrictors etc?

My car has an oil catch tank going from the top of the breather pipe on the rocker cover to the catch tank. There is however a pipe from the carb that should go into the rocker cover which just goes to the atmosphere. (Just open and goes nowhere).

tiff_lee
04-08-2010, 10:11
Well more oil pressure is never a bad thing, unless there is a blockage or restriction... smoking could be down to oil in your exhaust and its burning off... thats just my opinion i like to start with the easy fixes and less worrying scenarios:cool:
Not wanting to sound pedantic and I don't disagree with you but I was just wondering would too much oil pressure be a bad thing? I know when I had A series mini's high oil pressure would blow seals etc

Sol when you say constantly at 5 does it not fluctuate at all with engine speed or temperature change? what's the current oil level too much perhaps and just burning off as JRP suggested.

James5
04-08-2010, 10:18
Not wanting to sound pedantic and I don't disagree with you but I was just wondering would too much oil pressure be a bad thing? I know when I had A series mini's high oil pressure would blow seals etc

Sol when you say constantly at 5 does it not fluctuate at all with engine speed or temperature change? what's the current oil level too much perhaps and just burning off as JRP suggested.

As you say oil pressure will change with the temperature and speed of engine, when cold at idle you will see anywhere from 40psi - 60psi, at idle when warm around 15-25psi, when warm and driving you will notice the oil pressure should increase when the engine speed increases. (again oil pressure readinga will all depend on the oil visocsity).

I would not take the OE gauge as accurate they are known to fail and to provide false readings, if you are concnerned get an aftermarket mehcanical gauge and T it into the turbo oil feed pipe.

Is there any oil in your catch tank? smoking oil out of the exhaust could be a number of things, turbo seals, valve stem seals, piston rings, etc to name a few things. Could as JRP says even be oil still in the exhaust system. Have you done a compression test yet?

What pipe are you talking about that goes from carb to rocker cover???:scratch: there is none that goes from carb to rocker.

Might be an idea to post a pic of your engine bay up so we can see how you have it piped up

Sol
04-08-2010, 10:39
tiff_lee:
It does fluctuate slightly i suppose, when its cold it will be at 5 and when its warm it will be around 4 - 4.5 mark. Never around '2' where its supposed to be?

James_5:
I have tried now a different turbo, and noticed with the last one it was around the turbo it was smoking aswell, i'll go for a drive tonight and see if shes dripping oil from the turbo itself (again).

I am a little concerned about it, I'll get a mechanical gauge soon regardless so I know what's going on more clearly.

I'll do a compression test next then and see what 's happening in there. Suppose if its low its a bottom engine rebuild aye?

Oh sorry, i didnt mean pipe going to the carb, I think it goes to the top of the inlet manifold somewhere. I will get a pic posted up.

Tiny Tim
04-08-2010, 10:45
It the turbo seals have gone/are going, you'll generally start to notice smoke on over-run first.

Phase 1 or 2 car? Might just be the stem seals (or lack of) causing smoke.

JRP
04-08-2010, 10:52
Tims back! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sol
04-08-2010, 10:53
PH2 Car.

Here is a crap picture I found on the net but it shows what pipe im on about.

The green arrow points to the rocker cover breather pipe which now on my car goes to a catch tank.

The red arrow points to the pipe im on about that now goes no where, it just comes from around behind the carb/manifold bit and doesnt plug into any T-piece or anything?

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4410/3770027565f6627d7d66666.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/3770027565f6627d7d66666.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I havent noticed anything on overrun yet, will have a look tonight on the drive home :)

Tiny Tim
04-08-2010, 11:08
Tims back! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Like a bad smell.

Tiny Tim
04-08-2010, 11:09
If I remember rightly, the pipe that isnt connected should be T'd into the other pipe you've labelled.

Sol
04-08-2010, 11:11
Hmmm, I wonder if it would be in part to do with the reason the car smoke's then. :P

James5
04-08-2010, 11:27
So you are still running the oil swirl pot and then run a catch tank from that??

If you still have the pipe from the inlet manifold and it goes nowhere, you will no doubt be missing the restrictors within, remove the pipe that goes no where and remove the one way valve and replace the one way valve in the back of the inlet manifold with a suitable bolt.

See if that makes any difference?

Sol
04-08-2010, 11:28
Ok james, I'll give that a go, cheers for the advice everyone :)

dave j gtt
04-08-2010, 12:09
sorry if you alread anwsered this. Dose the smoke smell of burning oil? what colour smoke ? is it steam ?

James5
04-08-2010, 12:11
sorry if you alread anwsered this. Dose the smoke smell of burning oil? what colour smoke ? is it steam ?

Good point mate I think we all failed to ask what colour the smoke is:laugh:

Sol
04-08-2010, 12:29
Its blue smoke, hence thinking its oil? :)
Smells a bit like smoky bacon :P

dave j gtt
04-08-2010, 21:39
Maybe just condensation build up in engine oil and therefore letting off steam.

Is the smoke a lingering smog , or is it riseing out of exhaust like steam out of a kettle, if water gets in it come out after running for a while.

If the smoke lingers and is heavy and smells of bacon sounds like a knackerd turbo

Sol
05-08-2010, 09:09
Its not like a really big cloud, just everytime I rev the engine up (not really hard) it will give some blue smoke out. The car had a knackered turbo when I bought it so i replaced it with a second hand one.

I am starting to think that this must also be knackered, I mean tbh when I put the replacement turbo on the impellor inside didnt spin as freely as the knackered turbo, knackered turbo would slowly spin with the car idling. This one doesnt.... Maybe another sign of wear?

My mates compression testing her today and i'll post the results.

Thanks everyone,
Luke :)