PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with gearboxes ?

clee
30-07-2010, 20:17
I have just finished putting a GTA back together for a guy .Non runner project that had got so far but then got sold on etc ....
Long list of things that had been done wrong previously including a missing O ring in the block ....
Anyway ,rebuilt it all, good pressure etc so all back together ready to MOT :cool:
Thought I'd better do some checks so put it up on stands to run through the gears and test brakes .
I have 5 reverse gears and one forward :scratch: The t##t that rebuilt the box has put the crown in the wrong way so I need to turn it round :coffee:
Never touched the UN1 before and I really could do with this being done sharpish so anyone local willing to hold my hand ?
Broke my record getting it back out today from full install to on the trolley 2hrs :smokin:

clee
31-07-2010, 10:28
That'll be a no then ,cheers :cooter:;)

hey-ho in we go :coffee: Nothing ventured .....Mullered speed sensor and the crown should be on the left ........

stu21t
31-07-2010, 10:46
The un1 is a piece of cake m8.
Just undo all the bolts lol.
When you take the rear cover off the only bit you need to b careful of is the detent spring and ball bearing for 5th gear.
It's the big flat scre in the left hand side of the rear cover.
Other than that there's nothing to lose/break. Nothing loose, no springs/bearings or anything to put you off.

What's your email? I've got a manual I can send you.

Anything you wanna know just ask.
I've got another 1 in bits on my garage floor at the mo. I've stripped the synchros for machining.

MFaulks
31-07-2010, 13:37
Hi Stu, what machining are you going to do on the synchros? Sorry for the hijack Lee ;) ... zebedee :p.. mind.. I wing-wanged the same spring - Stu have you got a spare reverse detent spring? :D

clee
31-07-2010, 13:56
shat-it you MF !!!

Yes , it all went swimmingly until I got heavy handed and managed to feck the spring :mad:
Never mind it's all part of the learning process .
If you have got one Stu then please let me know otherwise I'm off on a wild goose chase at Renault ;)
I've got the manual thanks Stu .

stu21t
31-07-2010, 14:55
I am havin some teeth removed from the synchros to help change gear quicker.

I do actually have a spare spring but want to keep it.
They are still available from Renault and are about £2.50 each and next day so not a problem fir you to order 1 locally.
I will post the part number for you later when I get home from work.

clee
31-07-2010, 14:59
Thanks Stu :)
Apart from that it's not been a problem :o

clee
02-08-2010, 12:31
£2.39 :agree: but coming from France ......be at least a week......:disagree:

clee
07-08-2010, 06:57
Spring is here but although it's the right number it is way too long :scratch:
Stu ,please could you measure the spring you have .The one they have sent is 35mm long and I see on the parts list that there is also one listed as being 24mm but carries the same part number :cry:
I've ordered number two 77 05 015 011 but they also list that number on item 32 but with a length quoted :coffee: I suppose I could just chop it ....

clee
07-08-2010, 09:07
Ground it down to 24 and it's all good :cool: