PDA

View Full Version : big jim racing log manifold.

SCHWARTZ
27-07-2010, 22:54
Hears a few pix of the log manifold big jim racing just made me, I know a few people wanted to see how it came out. In total it cost £225 inc postage which isnt bad looks nice and solid. What are peoples opinions on the finishing of the ports? is it worth cleaning them up a little?
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo002.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo006.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo005.jpg
and how it looks after i wraped it.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo008-1.jpg

raj
27-07-2010, 22:57
what benefits do you get from a log manifold?

Haz
27-07-2010, 23:57
is it all stainless inc flange? looks good, would be nice to see it unwrapped and on boost to see if there's any hot spots as the runners aren't angled. looks better quality than the prima one. very good price too. i'd leave as it is, looks like he's took most of the meat of and you dont want it to go too thin. tbh i dont think it makes alot of difference on a turbo'd car
no really power gains raj but makes the exhaust note change alot to more like a gtt but still unique, makes the turbo more accessable especially if a bigger unit, less heat soak into the inlet manifold and bulkhead, shorter boost pipe and airfilter run and makes the engine bay more even ;)

IANMM
28-07-2010, 10:24
the purpose of a log manifold is to make it easy and cheap .it performs the basic function of getting the exh. to the turbo.the down side of a log manifold is the presure spike of all the exh. pulses coming together happens in the manifold instead of inthe turbo housing.this causes the manifold to run hotter and more likely to crack,loss of heat to drive the turbine,increase of back pressure at the head,and offers no scavenging of the cyliders at preboost and low boost situation.

a four to one manifold scavanges exh. out of the head at low boost and preboost just like an after market header. this allows more exh. out of the cylinder during the exh. stroke whitch allows more fresh air and fuel in on the intake stoke.the four to one also increases heat and presure at the turbo thus increasing spoolup time while reducing back presure at the head

the four to one allows you to run a larger more efficent turbo without suffering brutal turbo lag

IANMM
28-07-2010, 10:25
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/2.7T_header_comparison.pdf

SCHWARTZ
28-07-2010, 17:09
would only have polished the manifold if big gains could be had (which i know aint poss) so wont bother. The main reason for getting this than a tubular manifold was the price, and the fact that im not going for big power a tubular manifold isnt necessary, jim rekons this should flow enough gas for 250bhp so that will do me. this set up will also keep the turbo in the same place as on the c1j so i can use gtt crossover pipes and exhaust. I think the whole thing is stainless haz.

Scoff
28-07-2010, 20:19
I wouldn't worry about the ports, they look just fine :)

SCHWARTZ
28-07-2010, 21:32
:agree:;)

SCHWARTZ
30-07-2010, 16:12
finally fitted the manifold. Had a few problems with the flange fowling on the block and timing belt cover so it had to be cut down. Also the inlet manifold flange was thicker so the bolts wouldnt clamp the manifold :rolleyes: il get a few pix up when i can so you can see where the turbo ends up and what clearance there is etc...

Scoff
30-07-2010, 17:59
Uh oh, didn't think to give jim the inlet so he could compare ? I've seen this before with the manifold from Prima racing! You have to grind the inlet manifold carefully so the lugs are the same height as the exhaust flange.

SCHWARTZ
30-07-2010, 19:29
yer lol not blaming jim as sh1t happens and its all sorted now. hope the inlet manifold is ok as all i could do is file it down 1mm where the nuts clamp it, it all seems to have tightened up ok tho so we shal see when its running. Was going to ask you scoff is it poss to map these ecu's or are they locked to their one map? dont know anything about electronics (or much else) so if its a stupid question just discard it.

MFaulks
30-07-2010, 20:20
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/2.7T_header_comparison.pdf

nice sales speak, as to the anti reversion, different conditions to a n/a where that would apply, the whole exhaust system is running positive pressure and no amount of step is going to prevent reversion to any significant degree during scavenge. Plenty of top fuel cars, and Salt Flat racers run log manifolds, and they have plenty of space to put them in if they really wanted too, the trade off is they want the heat very rapidly at the turbine.

Scoff
30-07-2010, 23:20
yer lol not blaming jim as sh1t happens and its all sorted now. hope the inlet manifold is ok as all i could do is file it down 1mm where the nuts clamp it, it all seems to have tightened up ok tho so we shal see when its running. Was going to ask you scoff is it poss to map these ecu's or are they locked to their one map? dont know anything about electronics (or much else) so if its a stupid question just discard it.

Well I think you want to grind those inlet manifold edges so that the nut sits flat. If the nut isn't sat equally on both surfaces then it'll blow, or your gasket won't last long, or you'll pull the thread out of the head. Fetch it off and do it properly ;)

Re ECU, early ignition modules had a rom on a 2nd PCB, that was programmable but with little advantage to be had I'd say. Later ECU's are not programmable.

SCHWARTZ
31-07-2010, 12:15
yep inlet all ready grind down by about 1mm all seems to bolt up nicely so fingers crossed. Would have liked to get it skimmed down properly but funds wont allow so did it my self:crap::laugh:

SCHWARTZ
31-07-2010, 21:42
well the engine is all in now, And the crossover pipe and exhaust bolt up perfectly.

James5
31-07-2010, 23:37
well the engine is all in now, And the crossover pipe and exhaust bolt up perfectly.

Come on Gary give us some pics of your progress matey:cooter:

SCHWARTZ
01-08-2010, 20:36
calm down james:cooter::laugh: yer il get some up 2moz nothing amazing to look at tho but dose mean i can get on with the wiring and plumbing now.

SCHWARTZ
02-08-2010, 19:42
heres some pix of the manifold fitted.
not much clearance for the plumbing but there is just enough.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo005-1.jpg
actuator fowls on ht leads so needs to be packed out to clear.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/schwartz87/Photo004-1.jpg

Haz
19-08-2010, 00:06
looks very similar to one of the earlier mock ups of mine, you find the bottom port of the pipe from the rear of the head doesn't even have enough clearance to bung up so needs chopping down, i ended up just cutting it bout an inch long, 2inch of silicon then bout 6in hard pipe with a small outlet in the middle to bleed/return to header tank. you also find the top rad hose/thermostat housing may foul on the turbo, you can fit a 90' version, i think from a gtx engine

SCHWARTZ
19-08-2010, 09:32
no probs with the stat outlet i just used the c1j top rad hose as it has a 90deg bend. the bottom port from the back of the head did need to be chopped down but that now feeds the turbo. il get some pix up soon.

ioshi_s_golf
25-11-2010, 22:03
Hello mate, do you know what is the size of the runners and everythink. Because i'm going to make one of those and it will be very nice if you can give me the size of everythink.

Thanks a lot

Joseph

SCHWARTZ
25-11-2010, 23:03
I have no idea matey next time im working on the car il try and measure it.;)

ioshi_s_golf
25-11-2010, 23:32
Thank you very much. What turbo you use

James5
26-11-2010, 08:30
Thank you very much. What turbo you use

He's using a tiny little t2/t25 with the b18ft lump a little bit of a gay turbo for it really :laugh: he needs to man up and get a decent size t28 or something on there.

SCHWARTZ
26-11-2010, 18:02
i would "man up" if someone stopped being a jew claw and gave me his vnt:wasntme:

SCHWARTZ
26-11-2010, 18:02
and its a HUGE t2/25:D