PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket woes

tiff_lee
26-07-2010, 19:11
Well just finished doing my headgasket at the weekend, had the head skimmed and used new 12.9 headbolts and been pottering about today trying to narrow down water leaks.

After sorting a leak on the head blanking plate and identifying one on the inlet manifold (core plug) there was still a significant drip of water from somewhere behind the block. What at first appeared to be water leaking between the head and block infact looks like a 1 inch crack in the block :eek: cant really tell for sure until I get the manifolds off but it certainly looks like one in the mirror.

Bit of a bugger really as it never appeared to leak before it just ran like crap :(

allanr5gtt
26-07-2010, 20:05
i had one a few year ago that cracked the block at the back. it was the back of the block nearest to the water pump about an inch crack, i think this can happen's if there is water in the bolt hole's and when you torque the head down the pressure of the water cracks the block.

tiff_lee
26-07-2010, 20:10
Mine appears to of cracked on the opposite corner near the blanking plate, when I squeeze the top rad hose waters appears to seep out of the block. At first I though it was water running down the back but it definitely appears to be coming from out the block :mad:

allanr5gtt
26-07-2010, 20:22
did you use an airline or something of the sort to blow the holes at before you torqued the head down? what did you torque the 12.9 bolts to?

tiff_lee
26-07-2010, 20:27
No I didn't, in fact that had never occurred to me, my only other head gasket experience is on old A series engines where all the studs were in the head so that was never an issue.

I torqued down to 80Nm in accordance with this guide (http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3457) as I had the blue seal meilor gasket and new 12.9 bolts from the club shop.

allanr5gtt
26-07-2010, 20:55
the only thing to do really is pull the head off and have good look. let me know how you get on.
allan

tiff_lee
27-07-2010, 14:22
Well whipped the head off today and my block does appear to of had it :(

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/tiff_lee_photos/P7270190.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/tiff_lee_photos/P7270195.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/tiff_lee_photos/P7270194.jpg

Slim
27-07-2010, 14:24
:eek:

J$£5GTT
27-07-2010, 17:21
that can be welded if need be.

allanr5gtt
27-07-2010, 19:17
that's unlucky bud. but as jay said you could get it welded and i wouldn't said it was caused but the head bolts as i first thought.
Truthfully i wouldn't like to say what would cause a crack like that? :confused: i take it you didnt see any thing like that when you clean the block before bolting the head on?

tiff_lee
27-07-2010, 23:25
I had no idea it was there before, the car has been an ongoing project and the headgasket needed doing already however I never noticed water from there before. Perhaps that was because the water had an easier path to take with the blown gasket and only once it was all pressure tight did it show itself.

Bit of a bugger to say the least but not end of the world, onwards...

J$£5GTT
28-07-2010, 17:52
I had no idea it was there before, the car has been an ongoing project and the headgasket needed doing already however I never noticed water from there before. Perhaps that was because the water had an easier path to take with the blown gasket and only once it was all pressure tight did it show itself.

Bit of a bugger to say the least but not end of the world, onwards...

onwards mate,think marky mark had some blocks forsale in classified as a few other folk have latley,could try there.
:agree::)

tiff_lee
28-07-2010, 17:54
I put an add in the wanted section and I have been offered a block for free providing I collect which is very generous :) although I may still try and get a full engine as well so I can have it running and then perhaps have a go at rebuilding the other.

J$£5GTT
28-07-2010, 17:59
I put an add in the wanted section and I have been offered a block for free providing I collect which is very generous :) although I may still try and get a full engine as well so I can have it running and then perhaps have a go at rebuilding the other.

spare block an spare engine ftw!!!
:agree::cool:

tiff_lee
28-07-2010, 18:00
I think that's the best route for me, considering cadwell park is down the road from me and my intention is to take it there a spare engine may be ideal...

tiff_lee
29-07-2010, 16:13
Can anyone give me an idea as to what the going rate is for second hand engines?

SCHWARTZ
30-07-2010, 16:03
speak to mike (phase i 16v turbo) he had a few engines for sale.

Brigsy
30-07-2010, 17:31
Ive seen that before, not unheard of on these c1j blocks. I would have slapped some decent chemi metal i.e belzona over the top & drove it whilst building a new lump:D

tiff_lee
30-07-2010, 17:38
Now that sounds like my kinda bodge! if I had a little more experience with these engines that is probably the kind of thing i'd have done.

I have sent Mike a pm regarding how much for an engine.